Chapter 4: Numbness.

* Archie's POV *

While I was waiting for Jughead, I was thinking about what was so important that he has to say it in person. He usually texts me what he needs to say anyways, even if it's somewhat important.

10 minutes later...

I heard knocking at the door. That should be him. 

"I'll get it!" I shouted at my dad. When I opened the door, Jughead was there and he look like he saw 2 ghosts. His face was oddly pale, paler than usual. I invited him in and we went up in to my room.

"Jug, what was so important that you need to come over? Not that I'm complaining, because I do like to hang out with you," I asked him as my curiosity was still at its highest peak.

"Umm... She c-called..."Jughead stuttered. He emphasized the "she" with great pain in his voice. Unusual again...

"Who? Wait—Betty?!" I exclaimed with excitement. 

He was gritting his teeth, "No, sadly. It's Penny."

Penny... As in...

"The woman who tricked us into...Into selling drugs?" I whispered.

"Yeah and—" He was holding back his tears, but he was doing a poor job.

"And what—?" I asked trying to get his attention to continue his sentence.

He said nothing, his face became blank. His emotions; Gone.

* Jughead's POV *

I spaced out for a second or two. My body was numb and so were my emotions. I was thinking about how much time I had, because time could be up right now and I didnt even know. She could be getting hurt right now and I feel terrible. I should have been there for her, like I always have—

"JUGHEAD!" Archie hollered at me. Reality snapped in my face, and so did Archie apparently.

"Oh. Uhm..." I was trying to remember without spacing out again, "He said that if I don't come in time, she will do the same thing she did to me." It was painful to look him in the eye, but I tried the best I could.

Archie looked as frighten as I was. "Jughead, what's the plan?" He curiously muttered. His voice was shaking. He tried his best to remain calm.

"I don't know...I really don't know" I said to him. That was all I could say with this situation.

Later at Jughead's trailer...

I was on my bed, thinking about the plan to get Betty back. But, my head was cluttered with regret and hurtful phrases at myself. The only thing I could think was that this is my fault, it is my fault that she's gone. I was the last one with her. I could have protected her. Could've prevented this...

This is my fault. Me, Jughead, my fault.

Next day at Riverdale High. 

At school, I had my planted to my desk and I wasn't talking to anyone about anything as usual. No one knew about Betty besides Archie and I. However, I was worried Veronica would've caught on... Or even Kevin.

"Have you guys have seen Betty lately?" Kevin called out to Archie and I. Speak of the...Gay devil.

When Kevin said that, Archie and I locked eyes. "You didn't tell him?" Archie hissed.

"No, why would I?" I hissed back. He pulled out his phone and started to rapidly tap at his screen. Then my phone buzzed in my pocket.

[Archie] You know that you're not the only one who cares about her. A lot of other people do too.

I looked at him with the "Are you stupid?" look, squinting eyes and shaking my head slightly. However, in my defense he was, because he was texting me while he was right in talking distance.

[Jughead] Archie, are you stupid? We can whisper about it, there's NO need to text me.

[Archie] Because I don't want anyone to know what we're saying!

[Jughead] Ok, so...?

[Archie] ...So why didn't you tell him?!

[Jughead] I dont know!

[Archie] Did you at least tell Veronica??

[Jughead] No...But she might be suspicious.

[Archie] WHAT?

[Jughead] Why is that bad so bad?

[Archie] Because, she is probably to hear it from someone else! They're probably going to say that you knew about it.

[Jughead] Ok, fine. I'll tell her after school.

[Archie] What? No! Tell her right now.

[Jughead] No, not now.

[Archie] Why?

[Jughead] Because I don't want to deal with her. 

[Archie] Fine, but just so you know she isn't that bad.

When we got done texting each other, Veronica and Kevin both were staring at us. However it wasn't the normal confused stare, it was a horrified stare. 

"What? What's wrong?" I asked in a panic. 

"We just got a text from Cheryl..." Veronica slowly spoke. Kevin took next to her, breaking out in a sweat. 

"Well, read it!" Kevin shouted, elbowing Veronica.

"Ugh, hold on," Veronica scoffed, "Okay, she said—"

Author's Note: Stay tuned for what Cheryl said to the school chat in the next chapter of The Kidnapping. Tell me what you think Cheryl said to the school chat in the comments!