Scott thought for a second. "Anger."

"Focused on you?" Derek asked.

"No, not me. But it was definitely anger," Scott nodded his head. "Especially when he drew the spiral."

Brooke and Derek looked at each other with shocked eyes. "Wait, the what?" Derek asked.

"He drew this spiral on the window of my car, in the condensation, you know?" Brooke and Derek exchanged another look. "Why, what does it mean?"

"It's nothing," Derek said. He made his way to Scott's bedroom door and Brooke followed after him.

"No, you can't do that!" Scott said angrily. He grabbed onto Derek's arm. "You can't ask me to trust you and then keep things from me. This is exactly what Stiles was talking about, Brooke."

Brooke's heart skipped a beat at the name, but she just ignored it, praying neither of the werewolves would mention it. She looked at Derek hesitantly. He turned to leave again, but Scott's words stopped him. "You buried your sister under a spiral." Brooke and Derek froze. "What does it mean?"

Derek simply walked away and Brooke turned back towards the younger werewolf. "You don't want to know, Scott."

Scott hadn't heard from her since, despite him texting her at least a dozen times in the past fourteen hours. Still, he hadn't expected her to ignore him so vehemently. He thought about how Stiles' body tensed when she walked into the room, and realized it probably wasn't Scott she was ignoring.

"What happened between you two?" Scott whispered to Stiles, leaning forward in his seat. Stiles didn't respond. "Still not talking to me?"

Stiles continued looking forward and Scott looked over to Brooke. She gave him a sympathetic smile that was barely noticeable.

"Can you at least tell me if your dad's okay? I mean, it was just a bruise, right? Some soft tissue damage?" Scott continued talking to Stiles. Brooke slightly leaned towards the two boys; she also wanted to know if the sheriff was okay. 

"You know I feel really bad about it, right?" Stiles remained looking forward, a harsh scowl growing on his face. "Okay... what if I told you I went to Derek for help, and that Brooke is helping me out too?"

Stiles scoffed. "If I was talking to you, I'd say that you're an idiot for trusting him," Stiles said without turning around. His eyes glanced towards Brooke. "And that Brooke is withholding information, so she's not entirely trustworthy either. But obviously I'm not talking to you."

That stung a little. Brooke's gaze dropped to the desk in front of her. The school bell rang and the teacher told everyone that the first fifteen minutes of class would be reserved for catching up on the reading and going over each other's essays. Trying her best to ignore the two boys beside her, Brooke pulled out All Quiet on the Western Front even though she had already finished it.

Suddenly, Stiles turned around to face Scott. "Alright, what did he say?"

******

"The What of Who?" Lydia asked. She was sat at the end of a lunch table with Brooke on one side of her and Allison on the other. While Lydia and Brooke were trying to enjoy their lunch, Allison was working on the family tree project they were assigned for history class.

"The Beast of Gevaudan," Allison answered. "Listen: 'a quadruped wolf-like monster prowling the Auvergne and south Dordogne areas of France from 1764 to 1767. La Bete killed over a hundred people, becoming so infamous that King Louis the fifteenth sent one of his best hunters to try and kill it.'"