zero

THE BEGINNING

Brooke Moore wasn't a fan of drama

Brooke Moore wasn't a fan of drama. At least, not when it involved her.

Sure, she enjoyed watching catty drama enfold on reality TV shows with her best friend Lydia, and she found it humorous when freshmen battled it out in the hallways of Beacon Hills High School, but did she enjoy being in the middle of drama? 

Not particularly.

For the most part, she had been successful at avoiding it for the past few years. Ever since a fire had taken away half of her family when she was ten, Brooke vowed to live as peaceful of a life as possible.

Of course, there was some boy drama as well as some petty rumors; being one of the most popular girls at her school came with a price. Besides that, Brooke lived a pretty simple life, and she was happy with it.

However, when Brooke woke the morning before returning to her sophomore year of high school after winter break, she noticed a change in the air. It was subtle, but it was there. It almost felt as if a piece of her was missing, and she didn't like it one bit.

Dragging herself out of bed, Brooke tried to ignore the feeling the best she could. She had plans for the day, after all. Not only were her and Lydia going to go shopping so they could find the best outfit for their return to school, it was also the last day Brooke had with her dad before he had to go back to work. He was a wildlife photographer and would travel for work days at a time.

Walking down the hall from her room and into the kitchen, she found her dad sitting at the kitchen island, drinking a cup of coffee.

"Morning," she greeted him lazily. He must not have heard her enter, for he jumped slightly at the sound of her voice, spilling his coffee.

"Shit," he cursed once the hot liquid came in contact with his hands. Brooke rushed to her father, quickly wrapping her hands around his. The two stood silently as they watched the small burn slowly disappear from Bryan Moore's hand.

"You okay?" Brooke asked. He nodded his head before sitting back down on his stool. Brooke took in her father's appearance. His hair was unkempt and the circles under his eyes were darker than usual.

"Do you feel it too?" Brooke asked as she poured him a new cup of coffee.

Bryan nodded as he took the mug from his daughter gratefully. "Something feels... off."

Brooke turned back around and glanced out the window over the large kitchen sink. Her dark green eyes scanned the woods that stood behind her home and she felt a tugging sensation deep in her chest. "I can't put my finger on it, dad, but it feels like something's missing."

Brooke sighed heavily before turning to the coffee pot and pouring a cup of coffee for herself. She joined her dad at the kitchen island but didn't say anything. She didn't need to. As she took a sip of the warm drink, her insides still felt as cold as the January air.

Change was coming to Beacon Hills, and often where there is change, there is drama.