The First Day Part 4

After that, the rest of the day was a walk in the park. Draco introduced her to his friends Theodore Nott and Blaise Zabini. Whereas Theo was a pale and lanky boy, Blaise was dark-skinned with cheekbones almost as striking as Draco's. Much like their appearances were polar opposites so were their personalities. Theo was the quiet sort, keeping a book next to him during lunch - something Hermione could appreciate - and only speaking when spoken to. Blaise on the other hand was the most talkative of the entire table, so busy vividly relaying one story or another he actually forgot to eat.

Despite introducing her to his friends though, it was Draco who sat down besides me during the rest of their classes. He hissed at her to keep her back straight while she was taking notes, telling her she would get a hunchback if she continued on like that. He forcefully snatched her hand out of the air one time and then when she glared at him coached her through raising it again as if she were a toddler. "By Merlin, it's not a race! No one else even wants to answer." - "No, do not point your finger at the ceiling. What are you five?" - "Don't stretch your hand all the way. It looks ridiculous." - "Don't answer all off his questions. Make him work it a bit."

There were more than a few instances where Hermione wanted to whack him over the head with her book and say goodbye to her first friend. Except she didn't, because every annoyed command was alternated by a shared joke. "Merlin, do you think he stashes firewiskey in that thing?" Draco had whispered to her during Defense Against the Dark Arts and Hermione had had to stifle a giggle. She was fairly certain professor Quirrell had heard too, because he shot their table filthy looks the rest of the class.

Besides, if she terminated their friendship she would miss out on this. They, all the first year Slytherins in their little clique, on the couches by the fire place in the common room. She was fairly certain they belonged to the older years, but somehow Draco had gotten them to pack their things and hand over their couch. All of them were joking, laughing about their professors and the idiocy of some Gryffindors. Hermione was in a constant state of giggles which only intensified as Blaise told them all about how he had seen 'The Weasel', as Ronald had been dubbed, eat a bugger.

Alas, the fun had to end eventually. This end came in the form of one of the prefects walking into the common room, yelling: "Oi! Granger?"

"Yes?" She looked up frowning as she was sure Draco and his friends were as well

When the prefect's eyes landed on her, he said: "Snape wants to see you in his office."

"What for?" Draco demanded from besides me.

His tone wasn't rude exactly, but it was just enough to have the Slytherin prefect narrowing his eyes. Still the older boy said nothing. Hermione's brow quirked up subconsciously. Had any of the younger years tried this at her last school they would have been treated to a nice portion of intimidation. It seemed that Malfoy influence Draco so enjoyed bragging about ran further than first year here in Slytherin.

Remaining perfectly polite as he said: "He didn't say. He just said he wants to see her right now."

Hermione frowned as the urgency got through to her. What reason would her head of house have to see only her on her first day? She noticed Draco opening his mouth to snap at the prefect, but cut him off, having no time for his pissing contest.

Jumping up, Hermione asked: "Did something happen? Is it my parents?"

"Like I said, I don't know." The prefect spoke with neither malice nor compassion, just firmly. "The sooner you come with, the sooner you'll find out."

Hermione nodded fervently, ready to hurry behind the prefect when she noticed Draco standing up regally as he announced: "I'm coming with."

Lips pressed into a thin line, nostrils flaring, the prefect looked like he wanted nothing rather than to scream at Draco to put his arse back on the couch and keep it there.