Chapter XXV

Natsu and I ran to the center of the town. I dragged him to the tavern that Fairy Tail was partying at, and ordered him to have fun. I ordered a beer from the bartender, and looked around at the crew. Cana was chugging barrels nonstop, and most of the crew had a mug in hand. Wendy was talking to a tipsy Erza, and I couldn't see a single person not laughing or smiling.

I saw Natsu walk over to Gray, only for the both of them to get angry and Gray to punch Natsu in the face. In Gray's intoxicated state, he started laughing hysterically and pointing at Natsu's face. I noticed the peaceful look vanish from Natsu's face, and nearly had a panic attack when I saw him heaving heavily, his eyes shadowed. He walked away slowly, breathing slowly.

Even in his inebriated state, Gray seemed to see he'd done something really wrong, and he walked up to Natsu slowly, patting him on the back. I saw Gray whisper something to him in concern, and Natsu looked up, still breathing deeply. He opened his eyes, and I saw the look of tranquility return. "Jesus, Natsu," I said to myself. "It's only gotten worse, hasn't it?"

Beside me, Wendy asked, "What has?"

I jumped up in surprise. "Gosh, Wendy, don't scare me like that," I said, clutching my chest.

She laughed a bit before asking again. "What were you talking about just now?"

I smiled lightheartedly. "Don't worry about it." I took another swig of my drink, feeling the hazy, numbing sensation start to flood my senses. "Wow," I muttered, "haven't had one of these in a while."

Wendy perked up. "What is it like?" she asked innocently.

I smirked deviously. "Wanna try it?" I held my mug out to her. She looked up at me incredulously, trying to make sure I was serious. I shook my hand slightly, making the beer slosh out a bit. "Go for it," I encouraged her.

She grabbed for it, holding it with both hands as she sniffed it. She cringed back at the smell, but shrugged, bringing the mug to her lips. She took the tiniest sip, but immediately gagged, setting the cup on the bar so she could wipe her mouth as she coughed. I laughed heartily. "Is it supposed to burn?" she asked, clawing at her throat.

I grabbed the mug from the bar, grinning as I took another gulp. "You get used to it."

Wendy stuck her tongue out, scraping it dramatically. She looked over at Cana, frowning in disgust. "It's horrible. How can someone enjoy that?"

"You're definitely a lightweight," I observed. "You might feel a little something soon."

I looked back to Natsu where he was now talking with Gray, both of them seeming serious. Gray's arm was around Natsu's shoulders as he seemed to be asking him questions, his drink forgotten. I set my half empty drink down, telling Wendy she could have it, and I walked out.

I walked down the streets, admiring the happy faces of the civilians as they ate and drank. I turned up to gaze at the fireworks exploding above, and I unconsciously walked into a darker part of town.

I felt a large hand clamp down on my arm, and immediately observed my surroundings. My vision was spinning slightly, but it didn't stop me from seeing a group of large men surrounding me. "Where are you going, Blondie?" one asked.

I didn't answer, simply kicking the man holding me in the shins before twisting his arm behind his back. I was close enough to his face to smell alcohol, though I couldn't tell if it was coming from me or him. The others closed in, but I rolled my eyes. "Y'all don't wanna mess with me."

The men smirked, and another spoke sarcastically. "A pretty girl like you, dangerous?"

"More than you'd know," I said simply, flinging the man before me across the street. I attacked the group before they could get any closer, moving swiftly and methodically as I brought them to their knees. A few punches landed on me, but these men were much more drunk than me, and they were easy to take down.