Chapter XXIV

Time was a strange concept. Seconds could feel like forever, but at the same time, hours could feel like seconds. There were times I questioned whether our understanding of time was truly accurate. This was one of those times.

Time seemed impossibly slow as my wings faded away, leaving nothing to keep me hovering. I didn't feel like I was falling, though. Time was moving so slowly in my mind that it felt like I was merely floating downwards.

I stared at the book, what must have been a mere glance to the rest of the world. I felt the last bit of power inside me pulse, begging to be returned to where it truly belonged. I wished I could give it its wish. I didn't want it. But right now, I knew I would have to use it if I didn't want to die on the deck of my ship.

My eyes stayed locked on the book, as if clinging to the only anchor that could prevent the monster from taking over. The world obtained a hazy red tint, as if blood was flooding my vision. I hadn't used this form—let alone practiced with it—since I'd killed everyone in my village. The sliver of demon inside of me was responsible. It had taken over my thoughts, gotten too excited, and ripped out of my control. I hadn't trusted it since. But judging by that vision, I was right not to trust it.

Please, help me one more time. I'm trying to help you. But please, don't let my friends die. I felt the demon part of me respond at the thought of me helping it. I shut my eyes tightly, trying to restrain the demon to an extent. I needed its help, but I couldn't let it get control of me.

Large, demonic wings shoved out of my back, replacing the draconic ones. They were still partially draconic with scales and such, but they were black and looked more like bat wings than anything. Large, twisting, ebony horns pushed their way out of my skull as a long, black, scaly tail sprouted from my tailbone. Thick, deadly sharp claws twisted over my fingertips while dark, shining scales covered the edges of my face, stomach, and arms.

I opened my glowing red eyes and with one powerful beat of my wings, I was back in front of Mard Geer. He looked to be in shock and slight fear, but his face showed anger more intense than almost anything I'd ever seen.

He roared desperately, clutching his skull with his clawed hands. "HOW ARE YOU NOT DEAD?" he boomed. "Those should have sucked every ounce of magic from you! How are you still using it!?"

I shrugged nonchalantly, "Magic isn't the only thing fueling my power." I licked my lips and smirked widely, but at the same time, my eyes were wide with fear. I hadn't been the one to order my body to do that, and the thought that he might be taking over was terrifying me. "Let's get this over with."

I flew faster than ever, punching him hard on his temple, trying to knock him out quickly. I covered my knuckles with scales just before the impact, and the noise of it rang through the air. He flew back through the air at the strength of my punch. He shook his head, though his eyes looked dazed, and flew back over to me.

He was going all out, but he wasn't the strongest demon in existence. That title belonged to me, and it was the most terrifying thing about me, even to myself. I could feel the demon slowly loosening the mental chains I had tied around him, and my body started to do things I wasn't telling it to.

Instead of just knocking out the demon and being done with it, my body was laughing as it spilled his blood. Deep scratches were now lining the demon's arms, my talons cutting through his armor like butter. One of his eyes was now a gaping hole filled with thick, dark blood, and still, he was trying desperately to kill me. I didn't have a scratch on me, my scales covering my skin just before he landed hits; though there were few times he was able to get close enough to do so.

I flew high above his head, my body controlling itself at this point. I turned when I was too high for anyone else to see me, diving down at the highest speed I could manage. I grabbed his head in one of my clawed hands on the way down, taking him with me. It was less than a second before we crashed into the ocean, probably seeming like nothing but a blur to anyone on the ships.