Chapter XI

Nick's POV:

"You are one funny girl when you're drunk," I teased Nayeli.

"Why do you say that?" She quickly glanced at me.

"You were talking to yourself a lot and you thought my name was 'Cheez'. It was pretty funny."

Her face turned the brightest red and avoided my gaze.

"I was?" She looked at me with disbelief.

"Yeah."

"Do you remember what I said?" She asked curiously.

I closed my eyes and tried to remember her exact words, "Okay. Let's see, uhmm... You went to get some more punch and said something like 'I wish someone would pour me some punch' then you went to the pantry to be a loner."

Her cheeks were flaming and she seemed absolutely mortified.

"Oh great!" She huffed. "Wait, you said I called you Cheez?"

"Yeah, see because when you went to the pantry and closed yourself in, I stood outside the door listening to you. You asked why Nick was so cute so I said you should ask him. It was funny because you said you didn't wanna ask me because then I would have thought you were weird or I had a girlfriend."

"Oh. My. God. The whole time YOU were Cheez?" She gasped.

"No, I was Nick, and I still am."

"I mean, I thought Cheez was talking, not you." She shoved her head in her hands and sighed.

"I was Cheez." I chuckled and she laughed too.

"Now you know that I think you're cute, smell good, and that I like you..." She shook her head disapprovingly.

"Nayeli, the only thing you said before was that I was cute. You hadn't said that I smelled good and you liked me...until now."

She quickly looked up at me, her eyes widened ad she turned as red as the blood flowing through her veins. She giggled nervously and adverted her gaze.

"Whaaaaaaat? Uhm- I think Melinda is calling me, so I-"

"Nayeli, Melinda isn't calling you." I pretended to act serious only because she looks so cute when she's nervous or shy.

"Uhm.. Yeah, I knew that."

"Nayeli." I looked into her warm brown eyes and held her hands in mine. She quickly looked away. She's so beautiful.

"Nayeli, look at me." I whisper.

She turned to face me very slowly.

"I like you too."

"Y-y-you do??" Her eyes lit up and this time she was the one holding my hands.

"No." I say, very seriously.

"Wh-what? No? Ohh... Haha... It's okay. I-uhm.."

"I'm kidding! I really do like you."

Relief crossed her face, "You scared me, Nick." She shoved my shoulder lightly.

I chuckled, "I'm sorry, I wanted to see the look on your face."

"Were you happy with what you saw?" She asked sarcastically.

"If you could have anything right now, what would you want?"

"Like thing?"

"Yeah, what thing would it be?" I stared at her curiously.

"Honestly?"

I nodded.

"A chocolate chip frappé from Starbucks. I'm kind of obsessed." She giggled.

"You're so cute. I'll be right back."

She remained in her seat as I ran out the door and left. I bought the frappé she wanted, a box of chocolates, and a dozen roses. Luckily, the store hadn't closed just yet.

'After you read this text, close your eyes.'

The text sent just as I pulled into the driveway. I came in through the back and made sure I didn't make a sound.

"What are you doing?" Melinda whispered, almost giving me a heart attack.

"I'm going to ask Nayeli to be my girlfriend. Do I have your permission?" I asked, though I was afraid of the answer.

"How old are you?" She eyed me.

"18...?" I answered, curious about what the question she asked me had to do with it.

"Okay. You have my permission." She smiled. Awesome!

"Are your eyes closed?" I asked as I slowly stepped into the living room.

"Yes." She answered softly.

"Okay, keep them like that till I tell you to open them, okay?"

"Okay."

I placed the frappé on the table in front of her but kept the chocolates and roses in my hands behind me.

"Open them."

She slowly opens her eyes, I'm guessing she didn't know what to expect.

"Oh my god! How did you do that?" She gasped.

"I'm a magician."

"Really?"

"No." I chuckled, "I went to go buy it for you."

"That was fast. I didn't even realize you left."

I walked closer to her and sat on the couch right next to her.

"Nayeli, would you like to be my girlfriend?" I pulled the roses and the chocolates simultaneously from behind me and looked straight into her eyes, hoping for the right answer. Melinda was at the doorway, smiling at what just unfolded before her.