Chapter VI

Nayeli's POV:

I'm singing beautifully. The people are cheering me on. They seem to love my voice and the music. Then, I start quacking. Yeah. Quacking!! I tried to get myself to stop quacking but I couldn't! The nervous breakdown was kicking in.

I shot my eyes open. Ugh. Stupid alarm! I thought I was quacking! It's 8 a.m. It's also a beautiful day, another beautiful Saturday. After my usual morning routine, I ate breakfast made by the fabulous Melinda.

"Did you like it?" She asked as I finished my food.

"I loved it!" I beamed.

She smiled, knowingly. "Oh, Joseph called y dijo que today is his party so don't forget." Right. Today is his party. I totally forgot *face palm*.

"Okay. Gracias, Meli!" I hugged her and ran upstairs.

"I'll be at the mall if you need me!"

"Okay! Just be careful, mija!"

Going to the mall alone is never good. It's horrible and makes me feel like a loner. Joe should be here, forced or not, since he's making me go to that party. Even though, secretly, I'm kinda excited to go. As a matter of fact, let me text him.

'Joe. Where are you?'

Oh, great. I forgot to mention to him that I have a phone now.

'Who's this?'

'Nayeli. I finally got a phone (:'

'It's about time :p'

Him and Niall were both so eager for me to get a phone. Well, I finally got one guys!

'Come to the mall! I'm all alone! :('

I sent the text. If I had Niall's number, he would've came with me to the mall. For some reason, though, he didn't show up at The Restaurant last night. Weird, right? I know, he usually shows up. I was kind of sad he didn't show up. I wanted to share the excitement of getting a new phone with him. Maybe he was just busy or something.

"Boo!" He yelled behind me.

"Aaahhhhh!" I let out an ear-piercing scream. People looked our way as I accidentally caused unwanted attention. God, I'm going to kill him!

"Why'd you do that?" I punched his shoulder.

"To scare you, duh!" He replied as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Don't ever do that again, Joe." I hissed.

He put his hands up in surrender.

"How did you find me anyways?" I asked, completely forgetting his mischievous shenanigans.

"Well, I went to the food court since I knew you would go there first. Then, I looked for the girliest store I could find and here you are!" He smiled.

"You suck!" I said sticking my tongue out at him, I turned and continued in search of something to find.

"What? Why?" He pouted.

"I'm not that girly." I glared at him.

*

"Okay. You're finally done shopping. Can we go now?" He looked very similar to a five year old right now. I loved messing with him. It's payback for scaring the bejesus out of me. But, sadly enough, time was running out and I still needed to shower. "Fine." With that we headed to the parking lot and drove to my place.

"I'll pick you up at 8:30." He stated as I exited his Camero.

"Got it."

The sound of screeching tires was a thing that Joe loved, so every chance he got, he did just that.

"Melinda! I need your help!" I yelled down the hallway. Within a minute she was entering my room.

"Yes?" She asked.

"I don't know how to do my hair.." My voice trailed and I let my head hang between my shoulders.

"Ay Dios. You scared me. I thought something had happened." She put her hands across her heart.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, still not fully lifting my head to look at her.

"Here. Sit down." She motioned to my desk chair and I followed.

"So...?" She urged as she began working on my hair.

I gave her a confused look. I had no idea what the woman was talking about.

"Is there anything new?" She continued. "Not really. I'm just nervous." I spoke honestly. I can't pretend to be okay when I'm clearly not.

"Why?"

"I hate attention. Being at a party creates attention. And I won't know anybody there!" I said as I became even more nervous.

"You're a beautiful young lady and you'll easily make friends there." She assured me, though to hear- that only makes me scared that I might not really make any friends at all. What if they think I'm awkward? What if they think I'm some social pariah because they've never seen me before? What if I bump into some popular chick and she threatens to do me harm for stepping on her feet? I think I'm only stressing myself out here...

"I hope so." I finally answer.

"There. All done!" She turned me around and stood me in front of my mirror.

"Wow! It's perfect!" I grinned.

"You look amazing, mija. You've grown to become quite an amazing young woman." She gently gripped my shoulders before pulling me into a hug. A hug I've come to miss... A lot.

"Thank you, Meli, but I really don't want to cry right now." I chuckled.

"Of course not!" She smiled whilst wiping the single tear that slipped from her eyes. My eyes watered; yeah, I'm quite the emotional one. I didn't let a tear escape, though. My mascara was not going to run so soon.

*

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Let's go." He simply stated and hung up. One word: demanding.

"Mo- Melina, I have to go now." I smiled and she nodded.

"Okay. Hare fun!" She waved off as I stepped into Joe's luxurious car.

"What's the rush?" I questioned, which must have caught him off guard because when he turned to face me, he didn't say a thing.

"Hello?!" I slapped his cheek so he could answer me.

"Naye, you look good. Who would've known you could actually look pretty?" He laughed.

Jerk.

But really? I thought I looked okay, but I hope I didn't over do anything. I don't want people staring at me when I get there. Wait!

"You didn't answer my question, jerk?!" I pouted crossing my arms.

"Oh right, no rush. I just don't want to be late to my own party." He chuckled.

"How many people are going to be there?"

"I don't know? A lot."

"Oh... Great!"

"Yup." He said, popping the 'p'.

"Is anyone there already?"

"Well, not really, just my best friend, Nick."