foolish

Grim Reapers - angels and demons instructed to lead the living to the afterlife.

With the human population booming with every passing day, grim reapers were brought into the world to bring and maintain the continuously growing population. It wasn't just their job to lead the dead to the afterlife, it was also their ruling on when the person would die. They were the lawmakers of death, it was their job to see it through from the very moments a human started showing signs of death until they safely made it to heaven or hell. Despite all their efforts, humans only saw them as creatures that would take away their lives and nothing more, not knowing their very last moments and how they spent it was left in the grim reapers hands.

5:18 PM

Naruto wiped off the raindrops on his watch and looked at the time. He had been instructed to lead a man he had seen many times before to hell last month, and just a couple hours ago finished delivering him to the court of demons where they would be dealing on where to place him in the layers of hell. He watched as family members huddled together under black umbrellas as streams of tears covered their faces and whispers of how much the dead man was such a kind man, not knowing the truth of work.

When he was still learning to be a grim reaper, he was taught that every person had three faces. The first face to show to strangers and new people, the second face to show family and friends, and the third face only for themselves to see. At time he didn't believe the words his teacher told him but after witnessing different people heading to the afterlife, he found the words to be true with some people being born with more than three faces.

Naruto wondered just how people knew the man they were mourning for. When someone dies, it seemed like the family member sending out the invites to close family and friends, even sent invites to members they didn't have contact with in years. Funerals were a gathering place for everyone to see each other again, to catch up, to create fake memories that may or may not come from vague memories of the deceased human.

Naruto had seen it all, and he hated what he saw.

Slowly he watched as everyone slowly filtered out of the graveyard. It was his duty as a grim reaper to watch the funeral until every single body left the grave to rest. It was the final step of his job after dropping off the soul to either heaven or hell as a type of respect. Despite the human being evil or kind, annoying or creepy, they deserved to be respected until the very end as they had carried out their life the way they wanted to carry it out.

Walking through the empty seats, Naruto placed his hand on the cold stone, drawing a small cross into it as he clapped his hands together. With that, another case had been finished and one more soul was at rest. Naruto stared at the name for a moment before heading out of the gates. This would be one of the last times he would ever walk the earth before he retired as a grim reaper and headed back to heaven where he was born.

Angels, demons, and grim reapers were all products of two deceased souls falling in love with one another. While there was no wrong in falling love, when both the parents are deceased souls, they would one day need to be reincarnated meaning having to leave their child behind as they had no right to be reborn. A child had two choices after their parents left, they could either continue living as they were or grow to be a grim reaper. Naruto chose to be a grim reaper to forget those who left him behind.

"You really shouldn't be smoking in a public area, Naruto. Even if they can't see you, their lungs will still get affected by the smoke." Naruto turned his head to the sound of the voice as he lit the cigarette he had placed between his lips.

"What are you doing here? Last time I checked, you didn't have a case." Naruto said as he walked over to the male as they started walking down the sidewalk.