Lucifer's Test [LuciferXHades]

Start from the beginning

Anyway, that part of our life was over. Now, I had to worry about what Hades's new test was. Because I'd uttered those three words, Hades was now convinced he could get me to break up with him, so he'd locked me out of his house-- again. The last time he did was because he'd had a nightmare and refused to see me because of it, which led me to believe it had something to do with the fact that I'd bitten him the night before. That was nothing new. I bit him every time, but that night had been particularly painful because it was the first time in weeks we'd managed to get together because of our busy schedules.

If I could just figure out how Hades was going to test me, I could get rid of this whole thing and we could go back to the calm we had before the storm.

And there was only one person I could think of to discuss this with. Someone who wouldn't run back to tell Hades.

"St. John." I spoke, looking up from my desk to stare around my white and gold designed office of the new palace that we'd managed to finish building a few weeks ago. A moment later, a large albino snake appeared on my desk in a tightly coiled bundle before its head rose up and its pink eyes blinked at me slowly. I reached out and ran my fingertips across his smooth scales and he seemed to shiver a little in delight before slumping back into himself, his head peering out at me as he waited for me to speak.

"He's testing me," I said, "Hades." St. John seemed to ruffle a little at that, and lifted his head, and hissed.

"He's always testing you." He replied. I smiled at that.

"It's his style." I answered. St. John scoffed at that. I wasn't surprised. He didn't like Hades. It was strange, though. St. John fed on sin. He normally liked people who sinned the most, but I suppose Hades was more of a victim than a sinner. Or could you be a victim and a sinner at the same time? I wasn't sure, which was a rare occurrence.

"I'll never understand his appeal," St. John said dryly, tongue flickering out in distaste at the mere thought of our relationship, "He's like a child."

"He never had a childhood, so I won't blame him for being a child now and then."

"Now and then," St. John mimicked, making me roll my eyes, "Try more often than not. Lucifer, you're too kind to him. He knows this. He's taking advantage of your kindness and twisting it against you. He's an awful god, and an awful... whatever you two call each other. I don't understand you people and your desperation for affection. At least your son, Akin, has the right idea in enslaving his whatever." I frowned at that.

"Hannibal is not his slave. Their relationship is complicated." I tacked on lightly, and St. John just shuddered in disagreement. Akin and Hannibal had an odd relationship. I wanted to ask about it, but at the same time, I wasn't sure I wanted to know. Akin seemed happy and I suppose that was all that mattered. However, I could never see myself collaring Hades and ordering him about. He was too wild and untamed. And I was not Michael, who sought to tame spirits and break them to his will.

Not that Akin did that to Hannibal. Hannibal seemed more than willing to do anything for Akin.

But there was a fine line between that and what Michael did, and I wasn't so sure I could stick to one side of the line for very long. At least, that was my opinion on the matter, which is why I chose not to discuss it with Akin, who tended to get a little worked up if someone pointed out the way he treated his lover, something Jaques had mistakenly done and gotten an earful of because he upset Akin so badly.

"Anyway," I said, shaking my head to discuss the topic, "That's not why I summoned you. I need advice on how to handle this situation and you're the only one I can think of who is objective enough to give me proper advice."