Chapter 11

I was dreaming.

My honey colored hair was braided into French braids, flopping everywhere, while I gave my best ten-year-old smile. My family was scattered throughout our entire backyard, the sweet smell of the homemade pies, and the thick meaty smell of Dad's famous hamburgers.

I gave another smile to Dan, my sixteen-year-old cousin, while he bent over admiring my hair. He was so kind, so sweet to me compared to my other family relatives. He wasn't jealous that my family had money; he just liked me for who I was.

"You'll be famous someday for that head of hair." He laughed and smiled as he gently pulled at one of my braids.

I blushed, smiling as proud as I ever was. My sixteen year old cousin proud of me?

I remember that day. It was one of the days I would never forget. Dad told me to go get ice...and there was Dan with Mom. My mom

It was so confusing and horrible seeing them touch each other in the basement.

I could never look at them the same way.

I remember running as far away from them as possible. I remember the old house we lived in was near a river.

I cared for him so much; he was like my brother.

I remember that one slip on the thick green moss, into the rushing, bubbling water and the sudden, loosing battle. I remember the pure, grasping terror of all of the pure water flowing over my head...the freezing water choking me and grabbing my air.

I remember the day I almost died.

I remember my heart beginning to slow, as I could only remember myself being thrown mindlessly around like a puppet.

There was no control.

Nothing.

It was like blackening night meeting my eyes as I drifted off.

Four days later I awoke in the hospital.

Opening my eyes, I met no white, sterile walls, or the sound of the loud beeping machine right next to me.

I gasped for the breath of air as I began to mindlessly run the words over my head again.

Your not dead.

Sitting up I began to count to ten, over and over countless times again.

I could feel the hysteria creeping up on me like a killer.

It was pitch black outside as I took in quivering, helpless gasps for breath while I tried to push the long forgotten memory behind...

How long ago was it since I had this terrifying, helpless nightmare? Was it three or four years ago?

The door opened slowly as I shot my head up to see James in the doorway.

"Are you ready to leave Lily?" His deep voice asked, slowly bringing me back to the earth as it crept up on me.

I couldn't speak. The terror of my past seemed to catch me as I stared at him, my eyes wide, and my head dizzy.

"Lily?"

"I..." My voice quivered, as I could see him take a voluntary step forward.

"Lily, what's wrong?" I could feel his weight hit the bed, as I felt dumbstruck and lost, as I stared still at the door.

"I...it happened all over again." My voice was going crazy.

"Lily, your shaking...what's happened all over again?" His deep voice echoed throughout the room as he pulled me onto his lap, resting my head against his chest.

"Oh..." I cried out, as his hands moved up and down my back soothing me, as I buried my face in his shoulder blade, my heart twisting and wrenching and tearing apart.

"Lily!" He said once again, pulling me away from his body, as his eyes searched my face.

"That wasn't supposed to happen...they weren't supposed to do that." I trembled out, as James's hands held my face to look into his eyes.

"Who Lily?" It was a soft, quiet, caring question while my eyes began to burn from everything, as I fought a sneeze.

"My mom...and Dan."

His eyes flashed and his arms quickened. "Who's Dan?" His voice hinted at jealousy and curiosity.

"My cousin..." The disgust curled up into my stomach as I spat it out, my head still reeling.

Why in the hell was I telling him this?

Did he want to torture me?

He pulled me closer to him, his body warmth making me feel weak, giddy, and helpless.

I could feel myself, move my arms securely around his waist, as I let out a shaking sigh.

All the water...

I let out a cough, a headache setting in as I began to get the chills.

James sighed, his dark eyes scanning over me. "If you had stayed in bed you would have been ten times better..."

I coughed again, making it seem as if a hammer was pounding at my head. "I was in bed all day until you came home."

He pulled me gently off of him while the sudden gesture surprised me.

"Get ready to go Lily." He murmured, standing up and smoothing out his regular white dress shirt, which fit perfectly on his body; emphasizing his thick muscles and broad shoulders.

"I..." I seemed at a loss for words until I finally gave in. It was most likely four in the morning, as the sun didn't even seem to be up.

He seemed almost angry as I stared at his back while he walked towards the door.

"Where are you going? Where are we going?"

He seemed to stop at the door, like usual, but this time he didn't turn to look at me.

"Next time you fake a nightmare, do it better. And hurry up, we are moving."

My heart split into two.