Chapter XVIII

George began to panic and ran outside, if she fell it would be his fault she died, guilt was finally beginning to wrack his being. "Isla don't take another step!" He called. She didn't listen and continued to walk back, but the thuds of horses hooves could heard as they were approaching. It was Elizabeth, Isla walked forward immediately, Elizabeth looked like she had hurried over.

"Why are you here?" Isla asked quickly, tears still streaming from her eyes.

"He's recovered his senses, I have explained everything to him and he now wishes to speak with you." She told her. A sad smile appeared on Islas face, instead of taking her horse she decided to run to the Trenwith estate, George and Elizabeth followed after her, when she reached the estate her dress was covered in mud and she looked a little dishevelled, she didn't knock but ran straight up the stairs.

Of course everyone stared at her, when she reached Ross he sat up and greeted her with a smile. "You came?" He asked a little surprised.

"Why wouldn't I have my love?" I inquired.

"After Elizabeth told me what happened I didn't think you would return." He said.

"My love I would never abandon such a man as you, I understand why it happened." She answered.

"Did George return with you?" He asked gently placing a hand on my face. I shook my head. "I heard what he did, how he took my place!" He growled.

"Ross, it's okay. Rest, you need to gather your strength." She said, her eyes then travelled to the window.

"What is it my love?" He asked.

"Nothing," she answered trying to hide her tears.

"Isla, speak to me please." He begged. She shook her head, the bruise from George's hand now making itself present. He wrapped a hand around her neck to get a better view. "Did he do this to you?" He asked, she wouldn't answer and tried to break from his grip,she succeeded and walked to the window. "Isla don't defend him, he used you, I could get him executed for this." He finished.

"It was just a disagreement," she squeaked.

"Just a disagreement? My love you don't go around beating helpless women on a disagreement." He said, she turned ever so slightly to him her eyes still not greeting his. "You've told me all I need to know," he said turning over, his back now facing her. Fear now racked her being, she worried about the trouble she would cause and the shame it would bring. She didn't want to leave his room but she felt unwelcome, she was about to walk to the door and rested a hand on the door handle.

"Don't leave.  I was only hard on you because I love you and I want to protect you, but Isla," he turned over to face her. "My love I have failed you once and I refuse to again, promise to never leave my side." He said. Isla walked back to the bed with a watery smile on her face.

"I promise," Ross gently wrapped a hand around her neck and pulled her towards him and kissed her gently.