After much arguing with the doctors, nurses, and my aunt, who came back with Uncle Kurt to watch over Brody since Peter went back to his family, I went home the next day to clean myself up and grab anything I and Brody need. The Uber took me straight to my house, which looked strange without the family van. I thanked the driver and walked inside. Despite the early morning daylight and sunny skies, the inside of the house was dark. It felt almost unfamiliar.

Shaking off my nerves, I travelled through the halls towards my room. I walked past my parents' empty bedroom. I continued on to my bedroom, my steps echoing through the hall, and began going through my things. After gathering my clothes, I stepped into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

Letting the water fall on my back, I thought about the past 24 hours. So much had changed in that one moment. My life had completely turned upside down. But I still couldn't believe it. I couldn't tell if I was refusing to believe the past events, or if a part of me felt that it never actually happened. I turned off the shower and reached for where I usually kept my towel. My hand was met with empty space. Mom probably put it in with the laundry.

I groaned. "Mom! I forgot a towel! Could you bring me one?"

I was met with silence. "MO-"

I cut myself off. That's right, there was no more Mom. No more Mom to help bring me a towel. No more Mom to cook those burnt dinners. No more Mom to help with our math and science homework. No more Mom to yell at me when I use my phone too much. No more Mom to kiss us goodnight. No more Mom.

I choked as tears unwillingly began to pour down my face. Backing up further into the shower, I slid down the wall and brought my knees to my chest as all the memories of both Mom and Dad flashed before my eyes. No more Dad to talk about family. No more Dad to make us listen to cheesy Russian music. No more Dad to hug us tightly. No more Dad. And no more Mom.

I sobbed, the realization that both of my parents were gone from this world finally setting in. They aren't around anymore. The way I left things off with them... A deep feeling of guilt pooled in my stomach as I further curled myself in and sobbed harder. I wished I could have taken back some, or most, of the things I said. I wished I hadn't argued with them right to the end. I wished I could have been more respectful toward them and spent more time with them. At that point, I realized what Dad was saying before... to spend as much time with your family. Because you never know what might happen. Maybe, just maybe if I hadn't been arguing with them, Dad would've seen the falling tree and somehow swerve out of the way. If only I hadn't argued, maybe my parents would still be alive. I wiped my eyes angrily as these depressing thoughts settled on my mind. I should have just listened to my parents and spent what time we had together with them instead of focusing on my phone.

And Brody. The tears fell harder when I realized that my poor baby brother would have to grow up without the support of his parents. He was so young... too young to have both parents taken from him.

After a few hours of remaining in that position, the tears subsided. I shivered from the cold. I didn't have time to cry. I needed to take care of the family I had left. I slowly got out from the shower and stared at myself in the mirror. Cold, grey eyes stared back at me under damp, blonde hair. I steeled myself and made my way back to my room. Brody needed me. And I'll do whatever it takes to protect him.

I dressed quickly and threw the necessities in a backpack. I didn't know how long I or Brody would be staying in the hospital. At the moment, my main focus was getting back to my brother and keeping him close. I made my way to his room and threw in some clothes, books, and his favorite stuffed animal.

Once I was satisfied with the things I had, I began my trek through unfamiliar halls towards the front door. I stopped at Mom and Dad's room. Even in my childhood, I rarely was in that room. I remember Dad telling me to only go into their room in times of need. In the past, I thought he meant the times when I had nightmares or if the monster under my bed scared me. Now, it might be a good time to look around.

Preparing myself for whatever might be in their room, I opened the door and walked in. The bedroom was exactly how I remembered it from the few times I was in there: bed, dresser, walk-in closet, and picture frame on the wall. I walked around slowly, taking in the simplicity of the room. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary and for a moment, I wondered why I wasn't allowed to go in. There seemed to be nothing there.

I went through a couple drawers, only finding clothes and jewelry, before standing in front of the massive picture frame. In it was a picture taken of the whole family many years ago at the lake. It was a sunny day and Dad was so happy. He claimed it was because of all the different types of fish he caught, but looking back on it now, it must have been because of the time we spent together as a family. I looked closer at the picture and smiled sadly. We were so happy. I touched the picture frame softly and furrowed my eyebrows when the frame rocked inward.

Without hesitation, I lifted the heavy picture frame, silently thanking Mom for allowing me to take those weight-lifting classes, and moved it to the side. In the wall was a hollowed out square with a thick envelope inside.