Chapter 24

Over the next few years Aurora and Noah continued to write to each other. It was now 1980 and Noah and Anita had had two adorable children. A boy named Jack Mitchell and a girl they'd named June Aurora. She'd been touched at the gesture and excited to hear that Anita was expecting their third child. Noah included how he told her niece and nephew all about their Aunt Aurora and how much she loved them. Noah would include their finger paintings and doodles in his letters and Aurora would hang them above her bed. Words couldn't describe how happy and how proud she was for her brother.

VICTOR P.O.V.

Living in the loop for the past twenty years had been difficult for Victor. He wouldn't lie, he had to hold back a smile every time he saw Millard walking with his head hung low looking miserable. But the opposite side of the coin was Aurora, whose misery made his chest tighten in guilt. He'd stayed away from the both of them per Miss Peregrine's request and out of respect for Aurora. She needed time to get over her breakup and living in a loop made it that much harder, with living down the hall from her ex. But then Victor got an idea, something that would solve the problem and hopefully cheer Aurora up.

AURORA P.O.V.

Aurora was by the pond throwing small pieces of an old roll into the water and smiled as she watched the small ducklings swim after it. She looked up when she saw movement in her peripheral vision and the smile fell from her face when she noticed it was Victor strutting toward her. She looked back down at the ducklings and hoped he took the hint – he didn't.

"Aurora." He greeted with a smile.

"Victor." She acknowledged blandly not looking at him.

"I have a. . . proposal, for you."

"Whatever it is Victor, I'm not interested." She said still refusing to look at him.

"You haven't seemed interested in anything ever since Millard dumped you." His words sent a ripple of pain shooting through her heart. "Wouldn't you like a fresh start? After all, it can't be easy living under the same roof as the man who broke your heart."

"Victor, what are you getting at?" she asked finally looking at him.

"Let's leave." He said like it was the simplest thing in the world.

"Leave? Leave the loop?" she asked bewildered and he shrugged nonchalantly.

"Why not? Every problem you have is here –"

"We'd age out Victor. No problem in the world is worth that!"

"Not if we find a new loop to live in. There's more than just this one, you know that. We'll go out and find a new loop to call home."

Aurora shook her head, "If you want a new loop you should ask Miss Peregrine. Then an ymbryne can come and get you – "

"I think I'm plenty old enough to take care of myself. We don't need to be babysat anymore Aurora."

There was a long pause while he gave her time to think about it, then he sighed, "Look I'll be at the destroyed house in the present. If your not there by sunset I'll know what you decided. But if you want to come, meet me there. Millard survived out there once, so can we."

oOo oOo oOo

Aurora's head had been spinning since Victor told her his plans. Was it difficult living with Millard after everything that had happened? Yes. But was she willing to risk her life for a new start? Did she even really want a new start? She thought about everything that would mean, everything here that she'd be giving up. Her friends, Emma, Olive, Fiona, Hugh, Claire, Bronwyn – oh Bronwyn. Did she even know that her brother was planning on leaving? If she didn't her heart would break when she found out Victor had left her behind.

Then she thought about Millard, everything they'd been through, the good and the bad. Could she leave him behind? Possibly never see him again? Yes it was true she didn't see him now as it was, he avoided her day and night. But still, there was this comforting feeling that came from the knowledge that he was still sleeping right down the hall from her, as long as they were both living in that house there was hope that one day, one day he might make himself stop thinking and analyzing long enough to let himself feel. Could she abandon that hope? Let it shrivel up and die? Could she let Millard fade into the background of her life, as just an old boyfriend who hadn't worked out?

She was starting to get a headache from all the questions Victor's proposal had put in her mind. But as she looked out the window and saw the sun setting everything snapped into perfect clarity and she headed to the loop entrance.

MISS PEREGRINE P.O.V

"Alma!" her sister cried as she embraced her.

"Eleanor. It's so good to see you again."

"You as well, sister, you're looking quite well."

"Thank you. You remember my ward Emma Bloom?" she asked turning to gesture to Emma who was standing behind her in the main hall. The blonde gave a small curtsey to the visiting ymbryne.

"Yes, of course. Just as beautiful as the last time we met."

"Thank you Miss Nightjar," Emma replied blushing, "If you'll excuse me I should be going."

"Of course dear." She replied, knowing Emma didn't want to be late for the baby squirrel.

"Now Alma." Eleanor Nightjar began once Emma had left, "Tell me about this ward of yours."

"Victor Bruntley." She sighed as they descended the front steps and took a walk through the grounds, "There was an incident some years back and I just haven't been sure what to do with the lad. He has the peculiarity of strength but it's paired with a terrible temper I'm afraid."

"Have there been other incidents?"

"Not yet. But I can't shake the feeling that something bad is going to happen again. I can't risk it ending worse than it did last time, and even then the situation had been tense." She took a pause collecting her thoughts, "I know I should have acted sooner but it's just so hard to decide what to do about him. I know you share a loop with Miss Thrush, one that takes the hard cases."

"We do, unfortunately even among peculiars there are those with a talent for trouble. Certain children simply require very strict guidelines. That's why we try to keep the hard cases together in one loop. It's hard to be stern with a troublemaker when you have more easygoing children around as well. Would you like us to take him in for you, we have plenty of room in our loop."

"I'm not sure yet. Perhaps you could stay for supper tonight, judge him for yourself? I'd hate to send the boy away without being sure. You see, he has a younger sister here as well, I'd like to do everything in my power not to split them up but as you said it's difficult when the children in your care require varying levels of discipline."

"Of course." Eleanor agreed, "I'll see the lad for myself, I'd hate to see siblings torn apart as well. Peculiarity rips us from so many loved ones who don't understand, to have two peculiars from the same family is a rarity indeed —"

"Miss Peregrine!" she turned to see Bronwyn calling her, a letter clutched in her tiny fist, "Aurora and Victor are gone!"