23 | One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Start from the beginning

“So what is it you want to talk about that is too important to be discussed over the phone?” Tamara inquired, snatching Mary’s attention away from her dreamy thoughts. “We’ve only got fifteen minutes before the lunch bell rings.”

Mary shared a brief look with Noah, who gave her an encouraging nod. “Mason, Salazar and I have discovered a lot about the gate I opened, and I think you should know about it before I ask something of you.” Tamara nodded slowly, although there was skepticism brewing in her eyes. Mary then told her about the memory seal ritual, and the Curse of Lock-and-Key, and how Noah’s death was necessary, acting as the final death required for the gate’s opening. When Mary concluded her spiel, Tam stared at her for a few long, hard moments. Mary waited anxiously for a verbal response, but eventually her impatience got the best of her, and she couldn’t help but say, “Do you have any comments on that or…?”

“A few, actually.” Tam’s eyes were calculating and pensive as she looked into Mary’s, crossing her arms over her chest. “First of all, you and Mason Montgomery? I’m sorry, but how did he get wrapped up in all of this again? Every time I ask him he brushes it off or changes the subject. Is he paying you? Are you paying him?”

Mary was surprised that out of all the things she said, Mason was what Tam had been the most eager to discuss. She was even more astonished (and quite frankly quite offended) to be accused of being one of the girls he toyed around with.

“Get any idea you have about me and Mason out of your head,” Mary demanded more coldly than she had intended. Noah whooped by way of approval. “He’s a friend. Or something close to it.” She frowned briefly at the vagueness of their label. “Anyway, I thought I told you. He found me passed out at the graveyard the morning after I opened the gate at Noah’s grave.  I told him the truth, and he believed me because…” Mary refrained from so much as hinting at Avery’s presence and the little girl’s relationship with Mason, as he had already indicated that he’d rather such information not be disclosed. “I don’t want to get into details, but he saw some things that led him to believe I was telling the truth. He’s been helping me ever since.”

Tamara stepped closer to Mary, an unsettling look of suspicion adorning her face. “But why? I’ve known Mason longer than you have; I know how he works, Mary. You’re clueless when it comes to guys, always have been. But I can assure you this: Mason may seem like a gracious, generous guy, but he only does that when he wants something from a girl in return. He never does anything for free.”

Mary crossed her arms, frustrated at the turn this conversation had taken. The last thing she’d expected to come up here to talk about was Mason.

How could she explain to Tam that Mason was doing this not for himself, but for his sister who he loved and missed dearly? She couldn’t, not without giving his secret away.

“You’re wrong,” Mary said firmly. “Mason can be selflessly generous.” She felt the truth in the words when she spoke them. “I’ve given him nothing in return for his help since this whole thing started. I know it’s hard to believe, but that’s only because the relationship you two share is different from mine.”

Tam shook her head. Clearly she wasn’t buying it. “If I were you, I’d try not to rely on him too much. He probably wants you, just like he wants all pretty girls, and he’s enjoying the chase. Eventually he’ll get bored of the fact that you won’t put out and he’ll leave.”

Mary thought of her brief conversation with Mason the day before, as they were making their way to his car. He’d commented that he liked how much of a challenge she was, so he’d continue to maintain his flirtations for as long as it would take to get a proper reaction out of her.