A Dichotomy For Sprouts (Micro-short story)

"I do not like broccoli

"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli."
George H. W. Bush.
***

Brussell Sprouts. You saw the words and either groaned like a whiney child, or salivated like a hungry dog. I did the latter; the minority. We are like fans for the away team at the arena; very quiet.

I grew up eating them exactly twice every year. I queried my mom about that habit.

"I hate them," she replied, "but I ate them at Christmas and Easter growing up. It wouldn't feel like a proper holiday meal without them."

Conclusion - they are an acquired taste.

Today, I came across a paradigm where both sides are happy; this season's delivery truck full of them, had rolled over on the road, creating a five foot pile of these miniature cabbages. The haters won't see them in the store. This was a potential bonanza for my species.

It happened on Main Street, near my office, as I was walking home.

Pedestrians avoided the stray ones as if they were landmines.

I was one of three vultures that circled the vegetable carcasses.

"Go ahead," encouraged the driver with a heavy heart.

I hastily filled my briefcase and pockets, then continued my walk home.

It will be another complete Christmas dinner.