Snorkeler's Finale (Short story)

It was another clear sunny day in Kihei

It was another clear sunny day in Kihei. We were driving to one of the beaches with standard day trip supplies in the trunk; snorkelling gear, and wetsuit. A rented boogie board hitchhiked in the trunk as well, hoping to get a ride to the waves we spotted from the condo window.

Our destination was not Big Beach; I had been cautioned that today's surf was ideal to maintain the annual rate of nineteen neck injuries.

The beach I am returning to starts with a P, and has at least one O in it.

Hawaii tradition requires that most cities and roads start with a P, K, or M, and must contain several embedded O's; therefore, they all look the same to me.

I will rely on memory to find it; how the road curves, which hotel came just before it, and the golf course that was across the street.

My 'spidey senses' were working; we found the 'P-O' beach and had arrived early enough to claim a parking spot.

We sat on the sand as I observed some warning signs. The obvious was the seven foot face of the waves; much bigger than what I was accustomed to.

The other was the five youths already out with their body boards and flippers. I recall advice I had overheard, 'when the local kids are out, stay away.'

There were a few adult boarders, like me, sensibly on the sidelines.

A young fellow exited the water. I walked over to him.

"Do you need flippers today?" I asked, revealing my lack of experience.

"Yeah, it would take you all day to get out there if you didn't." he replied, without laughing.

I sauntered back to my perch, and contemplated snorkelling. To the right, there was an area of calm waters and breathing tubes. It was basically the seniors zone.

We watched the body boarders for a few minutes, then, decided to drive to the 'M" beach nearby which would have more geriatric friendly surf.

I noticed that a snorkeler, an adult male with blue shorts, had wandered out of the calm waters into the vicinity of the waves. He remained just outside the break. I assumed that he was very experienced. I was wrong.

As the next wave approached, two boarders went to him.

The scene suddenly changed.

"Call 9-1-1" they shouted as the other youths floated to them.

I wasn't certain if anyone on the shore was paying attention, but I understood what had happened. I did not have my cell, and noticed a woman nearby texting beside her daughter. She was oblivious to the unfolding event.

I walked over.

"Excuse me, could you call 9-1-1?" I asked, and then pointed to the kids on the surf with the snorkeler, "I think there might be someone in distress out there."

She looked out at the water, and then panicked.

"I don't know how. Here," she said with wide eyes, and offered me her phone.

I wondered if she was afraid of me, stressed by the sudden appearance of a stranger looming over her, asking for a phone. It appeared as though she would hand me her purse too, if I had asked.

To ease her fear, I said,

"Just press 9-1-1. There will probably be several people doing it already, so it might not be a big deal, but, you can never be sure."

I went back to my seat.

She looked out at the water, and started to dial as people began congregating at the anticipated landing point.