A Martian Calamity: What Not To Forget, On Mars (Micro-short story)

There is a first for everything; Mars will soon be checked off the human race bucket list

My suit registers an increased heart rate. I empty a deep lungful from the cylinders on my back as I ready to claim the planet with a step, and feel solid ground after a seven month journey and a lifetime of work.

When I was five, I looked at the night sky and focused my telescope on a speck of red, and vowed to go there.

I became a synonym with science; physics, chemistry and math flowed in my veins.

I can calculate telemetry changes, fuel burns, entry trajectories before a user can enter the data.

Here I am; an actor on a red stage with the world as an audience.

I take ten steps, and then my heart sinks and flutters; I feel dismal.

I forgot to say my lines.

Everyone knows Neil Armstrong's enduring "one small step..."

I had rehearsed my quotable for over two years. I wrote them. They were professionally edited, scrutinized, and authorized up the chain. I had dreamt it, and practiced them as I put the suit on.

I had opened the door to the capsule, and run out like a child at recess.

I went from elation to depression in an instant by omitting the easiest and hardest part of the mission.

For mankind, this will be historic, but not memorable.