Chapter 5.

Dear Laurie,

Mom and dad gave me this locket with a picture of us in it. One from when we were little with the dandelion crowns, and one from graduation.

It was too much. I had tried holding myself together long enough not to cry over it but I couldn't take it anymore. I just missed you so much. And I still do.

On another note, I think I'm falling for Calum. He's so sweet and it really feels like he's trying to bring me out of my shell.

He jokes saying I'm borderline mute since I only talk to him and dad occasionally. Who should I talk to? I don't find talking necessary if they don't have a good reason to talk to me.

I miss you a lot, Laurie, and I wish that you could be here with us.

Love,

Ellie.

~~~

"So how badly did your mom kill you?" Calum asked me as he sat next to me at our usual time, 9:18.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The other night?" He said, breathing hard still from running. "She didn't kill you for sneaking out?"

"Oh, no," I shook my head. "She didn't find out. I bet my dad did though."

"And he didn't kill you?" He questioned.

I shook my head. "My dad is much more laid back than my mom. Laurie snuck out all the time and he knew about it every time."

"Well at least he's not trying to sabotage our relationship?" He offered and I smiled back at him.

"Yeah. Can we do something else though?"

"Yeah," he nodded, taking my hand and interlacing our fingers. "Where do you wanna go?"

"Downtown," I said immediately, which he took me up on the offer of.

~~~

"I wonder what's in there?" I pointed to an antique shop that was across the street with my left hand, which wasn't being held by Calum's.

"Let's go find out," he smiled, looking to cross the street. "Adventure!"

I laughed as he stepped out onto the concrete and pulled me along with him, opening the door as the cool breeze blew against us from the air conditioning.

"Good afternoon!" A short old lady smiled at us as we entered and I smiled back as Calum returned her greeting and pulled me along to look at the things they had in the shop.

We passed a few of those creepy old jewelry boxes that you see in horror movies, before we moved on to see actual jewelry.

"Look, this one is really nice," Calum said, picking up an old bracelet with slightly discolored beads. "I think it would look good on you."

I shrugged and Calum let out of my hand to slide the bracelet on. It fit perfectly and contrasted pretty well with my pale skin tone.

"I like it," Calum nodded, pulling it off of my wrist. "I'm getting it for you."

"You don't have to--"

"I'm getting it for you," he repeated, ignoring my protests. We walked up to the lady behind the back counter, who was reading an old looking book.

"Is that all for you?" She asked Calum, and he nodded.

He bought the bracelet for me, putting it on wrist immediately.