Celebration

"How long have you both been sitting up here?"

Maliha and Kaori's heads snapped up as Makaio stepped into their vision. His bare chest was glistening with sweat and he held his warrior mask in his hand.

"I'm not sure. What are you doing with that?" Maliha asked nodding towards his mask.

Makaio lifted it up, looking at the mask with a lopsided grin before motioning her over. "You'll see when you two finally leave this cliff." He stretched his hand out for her to take. Maliha placed her hand in her brother's palm before looking at her father.

"I'll be down in a moment."

Both Makaio and Maliha nodded sombrely before retreating down the rocky cliff. Maliha tried to focus on each step she took but her father's words and her brother ramblings were distracting her. she couldn't count the number of times she nearly tumbled down the rocky terrain until her rother halted their retreated and turned to face her.

"I know you are nervous and probably still in shock, but don't let that man get into your head."

"What are you talking about?" Maliha scoffed, looking at everything but her brother. Makaio heaved a deep sigh as he began listing off what both Maliha and him knew he was discussing.

"I'm talking about your reaction to Ujarak's presence. Your anger and then the way you snuck away from the tribe. I saw it all and I'm telling you to not let his weak apology get into your head. His actions should demonstrate what he feels and thus far, his actions have fallen short."

"I mean, he did allow both you and father to pound his face in without retaliating. He has been reunited with the Nah Barros and he is here now," Maliha argued half-heartedly.

"Yes, and of all of those actions, which one of those demonstrate his love for you? None." Makaio snapped before she could respond. "They show his guilt and perhaps his growth as a man but none of those actions shows me that he is truly sorry."

Maliha nodded her head in reluctant agreement. Though a lot of Ujarak's actions could be seen with her in mind, none of them were truly done for her alone. Yes, he may have initially came to the Nah Barros looking for her, which was a gesture within itself but was it enough of a gesture for Maliha to forgive him again. Had he truly changed?

"Think on it. He will likely try to single you out again tonight and though he may speak a sweet game, I believe you should remain guarded until he shows his sincerity."

"You don't think he is sincere?"

Makaio tilted his head in thought. "In some regards, yes, I believe he is. I believe he is truly over harbouring hate for us, he is truly sorry for hurting you and Enzo and he truly wants you back. I'm just not so sure how sincere or strong his feelings for you are."

Maliha held her own doubts about Ujarak's feelings towards her and so Makaoi's words were not as surprising as they should have been. It hurt Maliha to acknowledge that she wasn't the only one with reservations about Ujarak and she wondered who else felt this way.

Sensing her forlorn feelings, Makaio outreached his hand for her and continued their climb down the cliff. Maliha's feet ached as they made way back through the tall grass and to the centre of the Nah Barros land.

The melodic sounds of drums and rattling of beads had Maliha's excitement climbing the closer and closer they got to the crowd of people. her feet took off in a fast walk as she made her way to the roaring fire that flickered in vibrant hues at the water's edge. Maliha looked back to her brother for an explanation and nearly jumped out of her skin as his masked face met hers. A sharp keening noise came from his mouth as the drums climbed louder. More people with masks appeared as they began dancing around the fire, their focus directly on her as a song rose higher and higher on the wind. Tribesmen and women swayed and stomped along to the beat as the warriors lead by her brother danced to the song of belonging. Bumps rose along Maliha's skin as their dance spoke of her story. A story of a lost child who was mourned for years and eventually returned home. The vividness of the dance had Maliha smiling and clapping along with everyone as the warrior's danced with fervour and love. When the dance was over they removed their masks and huddled around Maliha, laughing as she praised them all individually.