Chapter 4: The Messiah

Messiah

I watched my siblings before me as they dropped their luggage on my marbled floors. Them being them, they went their own way to explore their favorite parts of my home. I knew them like the back of my hand.

The Queen was headed to my indoor spa, while Cain was being the hot head in the bar. I made sure I restocked on everything for their comfort and pleasure.

They didn't ask for this. They were thrown into this life by none other than our savage as mama. It was either all or nothing and we chose all. But Duke. Duke was different. He was a hard little nigga, but not hard enough for these streets. I told each of them, that these streets are a dangerous place to be in and they all still chose this path.

I honestly wanted better for Queen and Duke. I wanted Duke to go to college and play ball. That night was just too head over hills for Cain. Cain protected him the best he could. I just wish I was a better big brother for them, sometimes. Then again I feel like I'm the best brother and father they could ask for.

Then the Queen was supposed to be some fly ass woman with a husband and family. But these streets was calling her name. I call her and Cain the twins because they act just alike. Ruthless.

Then when they fuck up, they look for me to clean up their mess. Except, their mess is normally big as shit. Like they think I don't know they robbed and killed my connect that one time. I guess I'm supposed to be a damn fool to everything. Then they try to be slick. That's what gets me.

And to think about it, I need to talk to them about having meetings with Brooks behind my back.

"Cain. Queen. Come to the foyer," I stood before the stairs, waiting for them to come down. They need to learn to chill and let me handle the business and they handle the streets.

Queen came down in a white robe and her hair pulled up in a bun. I knew she was enjoying the spa I had upstairs. She likes shit like that.

"Tell Cain to get here," I said.

"Cain! Messiah said get your ass down here or he gone come fuck you up," Queen called. She laughed a little as I smirked at her fucked up sense of humor.

"What's up, Messiah?" She asked.

"Wait til Cain gets his ass down here!" I yelled out the last part so he can get here. He finally came down the stairs with a glass of who knows what.

"What nigga?" He said. I ignore his comment and walked into the den. I flicked the lights on in the room. The first thing Queen ran to was the grand piano in the corner. Cain put his glass down and sat on the leather recliner that sat in front of the fireplace.

"What we do?" Queen asked after she was done banging on the piano.

"Who thought it was smart to meet with Brooks and don't you all speak at once," I sat on the long sofa before them with my foot crossed over my knee. I threw my hands behind my head and waited for them to stop looking stupid at each other.

"Well I did," Queen said. Cain looked at her with a frown.

"I did," he said.

"Okay look, I'm gone let both of y'all explain to me why y'all meeting with this nigga behind my back. I feel betrayed a little," I frowned. This my family. What was so important that they had to do that?

"Well it was all to raise your profit. I was thinking we could use their corner while they use our product," Cain shrugged. I stared at this nigga that thought I was a damn fool.

"Do I look stupid as fuck to you? I don't deal off no damn corner so why are you really fucking with this man? And you," I turned my head to Queen. "I'm watching lil Queen get all in this nigga's car for God knows why."

I was disappointed in my siblings. I thought I taught them better. I guess Im just a horrible teacher.

"You did what?" Cain said in disbelief. Queen jumped up from the piano seat.

"I caught him trying to sneak up on you at your warehouse, Messiah. I had that nigga right under my gun and I was gone kill that nigga too. That was until he started talking about a proposition Cain had for him. I'm like my brother Cain?" Queen started yelling to defend herself. My eyes slowly left her and landed on a shocked Cain.

"But if you think about it, that's my money! Police don't even suspect the Norwood siblings and we could really be making money out here. Brooks already said he was down. We shook on it, Messiah," Cain tried explaining. I just sat here staring at the pictures on the wall.

One of them was Queen when she was going to her high school prom. She looked so beautiful with her red dress with the split in it. My eyes trailed to Cain and I when he was two and I was seven. Ma took us to a Ravens game and promised us some cotton candy, so we were cheesing hard for the camera. Then there was a picture of Duke. His smile put the sun to shame. He really didn't deserve what happened to him. Shorty just wanted to stick with his brothers and sister. He couldn't hang.

"Let me make this shit clear. Do not meet up with Brooks again. Brooks can make his own money and Brooks can get his own connect. I -"

"Speaking of connect," Queen cut me off. I frowned at her because she knows I don't like to be cut off. I don't say much to people so when I do I expect them to listen. She saw the look on my face and slowly sat back down. "I'm sorry. Keep talking."

"Like I was saying, I don't need no money from this nigga. All I need is for you two to act professional in these streets. Cain, I don't need you hunting Brooks down like a damn Hitman. Queen I don't need you getting in cars with this dude, doing lord knows what. What I need you two to do is be my backbone. Make sure my shit is flowing fluently and no one is stealing from me. Damn, I didn't know I had to explain that," I leaned back on the couch and closed my eyes.

The room was filled with silence. I'm sure they both were looking pitiful by now. I didn't want to fuss at them, but they were being too ruthless out there in them streets. They gone bring attention to me and mine. And if I go to jail it won't be nice.

"Alright, y'all can go back to doing what y'all were doing," I said. My eyes were still closed. I rarely got time to sleep, so when I was home all I could do was sleep.

I could hear footsteps leaving the room, but I could feel someone sitting next to me on the couch.

"What is it?" I asked. I didn't have to open my eyes to smell Queen's luxury perfume.

"Nicki," was all she said. I opened my eyes and looked at her. Her face showed worry. I honestly don't know why. Nicki is sneaky and she's a hoe. My sister could do way better than a hoe that's jealous of her own girlfriend. Cain and I try not to break Queen's heart so we don't tell her when we catch Nicki with different niggas and bitches. She just wants Queen for her money.

"Queen-"

"I know. I know. You don't like her, but I love her. I don't want her living alone in some random hotel," she said.

"She's not going to be in some random hotel. Surely you put her in something nice," I said. I really wanted to tell her that Nicki is more than likely going to be in some dude's bed majority of the time.

"I hope nice is the Hampton Inn because I wasn't going to be paying for no Four Seasons," she said seriously. I just looked at her and laughed. No matter how much my sister loved you, she was not going to spend much on you.

"That's a bet," I smirked. She sat back on the couch and stared at the unlit fire place. We sat in this comfortable silence for what seems forever, until she closed her eyes and fell asleep.