Prologue

April 23rd, 2007. That date was burned into my mind like it happened the day before every other. If I had known, things would've been different that morning at home. If I'd known, I would've said goodbye to Darren and Liz. If I'd have known, I would have escaped. I still remember sitting in the cantine in the morning laughing about a youtube video - I remember when my thoughts were that innocent. I was old before my time but then again you had to be these days; males and females alike. Our head's voice broke out over the speaker system to order all the girls in years 7 to nine to attend an emergency assembly. Liz and I just assumed it was something on contraception or something and began to make our way there without a care like so many of the other girls all around the world. He began the assembly nervously as he began talking about the recent news story about infertility among the population and concluded with the bold statement that our world leaders have found yet another solution. His face was filled with regret and desperation for forgiveness for what he was about to condone. "I'm so sorry," he muttered. Everyone was utterly confused as bands of soldiers dressed in black and armed with guns strode in and began to herd all the older students at the back before gradually moving down to us. A few of the older girls tried to fight them and one girl even got a good few hits in but she was soon apprehended and knocked out... or killed - I couldn't tell. Myself (being only eleven at the time) I just cried and panicked wondering what on earth was going on in herds we were hustled out of the school and into the backs of separate vans filled with more soldiers. I wasn't focusing much as everything was just so fast but I managed to snap back into reality when I heard Liz scream my name. Her scream will haunt me forever but the gunshot that followed will ring in my ears until I'm six feet under. I was in so much shock that I didn't even fight back when a man lifted me up and placed me in one of the vans along with other girls who were screaming and crying but I couldn't take my eyes off her body. Once full, the van doors were slammed shut and it was that final sound that brought me back to reality. I sat in a large room with around another 20 girls, all dressed in back and covered head to toe. This was the briefing that we were given. This was the world's plan. A large, old nun stood before us pacing the front of the 'class' with her hands behind her back holding a Victorian cane.

"During your time with us, you will be taught all the duties of care that a Vessel should know. You will learn the process of the holy act of conception and how to behave during the said act, how to behave within a master's household, and the laws of the new united world," This was all we were given. Nothing more. Nothing less. Nothing of value. Those were the words to which I would live my life for the next five years. 

Control.

Silence.

Betrayal.