Foo Fighters

In the middle of World War II, things took a mysterious turn for Air Force pilots flying overnight missions. They reported seeing lights chasing their aircraft. The number varied (sometimes it was one; other times ten), and so did the colors (red, orange, and green). But the unidentified objects shared in common that they moved very fast, up to 200 miles per hour, yet could dart on a dime. These pilots — among the world's best — admitted the objects generally flew circles around them. Their lore grew among the squadrons. In 1944, a crew flying along the Rhine in Germany described seeing "eight to ten bright orange lights" whiz by "at high speed." Neither ground control nor their own planes caught anything on radar, and when one pilot turned toward the lights, they reportedly "disappeared."

They called their mystery air companions "foo fighters," an inside joke based on a phrase the comic-book character Smokey Stover used to declare ("Where there's foo, there's fire"). The term flying saucer hadn't caught on yet, or else it would've sufficed. Some witnesses assumed they were tracer fire, reflections from ice crystals, or high-tech weaponry developed by the Nazis, while the government as always: They were "electrostatic (similar to St. Elmo's fire) or electromagnetic phenomena," though which one and wherefrom were "never defined."