2. Harry Reid Says We're Not Taking Them Seriously Enough

The former Senate majority leader is definitely a truther.

Eric Benson: I'm curious about just where your interest in this subject comes from.

Harry Reid: Bob Bigelow [the founder of Bigelow Aerospace and Budget Suites]. He's a central figure in all this. When he was a young man, he heard a story from his grandparents about driving down from Mt. Charleston, near Las Vegas, where they saw a so-called flying saucer, for lack of a better description. Bob became a very wealthy man. He would pay for these conferences about UFOs, and he would bring in scientists, academics, and a few nutcases.

There were people trying to figure out what all this aerial phenomena was. Bob started sending me tons of stuff. Mainly what interested me is that so many people had seen these strange things in the air.

EB: So tell me how this program got started.

HR: I was in Washington in the Senate, and Bob called me and said, "I got the strangest letter here. Could I have a courier bring it to you?" I said sure. He didn't want to send it to me over the lines, for obvious reasons.

The letter said, "I am a senior, longtime member of this security agency, and I have an interest in what you've been working on. I also want to go to your ranch in Utah."

Bigelow had bought a great big ranch. All this crazy stuff goes on up there — you know, things in the air. Indians used to talk about it, part of their folklore.

So I called Bigelow back and said, "Hey, I'll meet with the guy." The program grew out of that, to study aerial phenomena.

We decided it would be [funded by] black money. I wanted to get something done. I didn't want a debate where no one knew what the hell they were talking about on the Senate floor.

EB: I saw that you tweeted, "We don't know the answers, but we have plenty of evidence to support asking the questions." To you, what's the most compelling evidence to support asking the questions?

HR: Read the reports. We have hundreds of — Eric, two, three weeks ago, maybe a month now, up in Montana, they had another strange deal at a missile base up there. It goes on all the time.

EB: Do you know things about this program that you can't discuss publicly?

HR: Yeah.