8. As Are Some Prominent Military and Government Folks

You see a lot more as a test pilot than as a farmer in Iowa.

Nick Pope
"Know that there are people who watch our skies to protect the sleeping masses," Britain's former chief UFO investigator warns in . "But also know that not all potential intruders into our airspace have two wings, a fuselage, and a tail, and not all show up on our radar." Pope's ominous counsel follows time he spent in the '90s inspecting thousands of paranormal incidents from crop circles to purported bedside abductions. He took that job certain this kind of stuff "only happened to weirdos," but unexplainable sightings soon convinced him that "there is a war going on" with aliens. Worse, the U.K. Defense Ministry his old UFO desk's funding in 2009, so whatever's out there "could attack at any time," Pope believes. Earthlings' diminished odds have gotten him more fatalistic lately, too: After scientists suggested 'Oumuamua — a bizarre-shaped asteroid that's the first interstellar object to pass through our solar system — might be an alien spaceship, he in December we "probably wouldn't survive an alien invasion" anyway, because if they find us, it's clear who has the upper hand.

Paul Hellyer
Canada's Defense minister during the Cold War, now 94, believes that at least 80 species of aliens have been visiting Earth for millennia. One group is called the Tall Whites (because they can reach basketball-goal height) or Nordic Blondes (because they look like they're "from Denmark or somewhere"). Unfortunately, the others may include ecoterrorists: "We're doing all sorts of things which are not what good stewards of their homes should be doing," he told media in 2014. "They don't like that, and they've made it very clear." Hellyer adds that many technological "breakthroughs" were aped from these extraterrestrials. Microchips and fiber optics, for instance, were taken off crashed alien vehicles and reverse-engineered. The aliens have a special technology that would solve climate change as well, he claims, but the Illuminati are hiding it because it would devastate oil interests.

Philip Corso
Corso's military career was long and illustrious, from rebuilding Rome's government after World War II as an Army Intelligence captain to having worked the Pentagon's foreign-technology desk in the '60s. He doesn't appear to have said a word publicly about aliens until 1997, when Simon & Schuster published The Day After Roswell — with a foreword by Strom Thurmond — just 13 months before Corso died. It was his tell-all outlining a decades-long Roswell cover-up while plugging his own clandestine exploits, which he claimed involved reverse-engineering technology found on alien spacecrafts. This is how the world got lasers, particle beams, microchips, even Kevlar, Corso said. Skeptics argue that regular Earth people's R&D behind technology like lasers is impossibly well documented.

Barry Goldwater
Had he won election in 1964, one of his White House's first acts might have been releasing top-secret UFO files. He harbored a lifelong fascination with the truth about extraterrestrial contact, much of it stemming from his desire to "find out what was in" the mysterious Hangar 18 at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, home to the Air Force's . In the '80s, it surfaced he'd spent decades corresponding with UFO investigators and harassing the military for access to the hangar's so-called Blue Room, where conspiracy theorists alien bodies from Roswell are preserved. ("Not only can't you get into it," his friend General Curtis LeMay supposedly in 1975, "but don't you ever mention it to me again." Goldwater claims he didn't.) After retiring in 1987, the senator Larry King the Earth is "one of several billion planets in this universe. I can't believe that God or whoever is in charge would put thinking bodies on only one planet."

Roscoe Hillenkoetter
After he'd served as the first CIA director (he'd been appointed by President Truman), Hillenkoetter retired from a distinguished Navy career in 1957 and took a gig at a brand-new private research group called the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena. Its chief purpose was pressuring the government to disclose what it knew about UFOs, via investigations like Project Blue Book. Hillenkoetter went after the intelligence community, writing angry open letters that : "It is time for the truth to be brought out in open congressional hearings." When he pointed out in 1960 that the Air Force had investigated 6,312 UFO reports to date, but was seemingly trying "to hide the facts," the military reminded Americans that "no physical evidence, not even a minute fragment of a so-called flying saucer, has ever been found."

Of course, another theory popped up in the '80s — that Hillenkoetter had helped run a secret committee all along of politicians, military officers, and scientists called the Majestic 12. Ufologists claimed this cabal was formed in 1947, once Truman started panicking over what to do with all the alien spacecrafts the government kept finding. The group's existence is based on government files that allegedly materialized in 1984. The FBI denied their authenticity entirely, but they and the Majestic 12 remain popular grist for conspiracy theories, having figured in Blink-182's song "Aliens Exist" and even one of Twin Peaks's .

Dennis Kucinich
Kucinich's 2008 presidential campaign didn't suffer from his admission, made during a live TV debate, that, back in 1982, he'd seen a UFO at friend Shirley MacLaine's Washington State home. (He was polling around 4 percent at the time.) But the current candidate for Ohio governor got mocked plenty; one joke among Beltway insiders was he wanted the "little green vote."

Staff were prepped the encounter when reporters asked about the passage in MacLaine's 2007 New Age self-help book, Sage-ing While Age-ing, that revealed Kucinich didn't just see a UFO but had also felt "a connection in his heart and heard directions in his mind." The other witnesses — a Juilliard-trained trumpeter working as MacLaine's bodyguard and his model girlfriend — having seen a trio of triangle-shaped aircrafts flying in tight formation. Her house was 50 miles from Mt. Rainier, a "saucer magnet" for UFO buffs because of all the nearby sightings, including America's very first "flying saucer" in 1947. Kucinich had the community's full support, even if he spent years playing coy.

It helped that in Congress he did things like space-based weapons. A 2001 bill he authored himself prohibited America from using "radiation, electromagnetic, psychotronic, sonic, laser, or other energies" for the purposes of "information war, mood management, or mind control of such populations." It explicitly singled out "chemtrails," a term for jet condensation trails when conspiracy theorists believe they're being used for biological warfare. In 2008, however, he only confirmed he'd seen a UFO, then , accurately, to moderator Tim Russert that "more people in this country have seen UFOs than I think approve of George Bush's presidency."

When WikiLeaks published the Hillary Clinton emails, a weird number of Podesta's mentioned aliens and involved contact with believers like and astronaut Edgar Mitchell. As Bill Clinton's deputy chief of staff, he was known as an X-Files fanatic who'd "call the Air Force and ask them what's going on in Area 51." In 2014, he spent 13 months advising President Obama — and what was his "biggest failure"? According to him, failing to get government files declassified on the 1965 Kecksburg, Pennsylvania, UFO incident.
Then during Bush's term, he began for NASA to release UFO documents to journalist Leslie Kean, the person ultimately behind the Times' Pentagon exposé.

Podesta has kept his personal ET beliefs under wraps, but in Kean's best seller UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record, he gamely wrote a that argues: "It's time to find out what the truth really is ... The American people — and people around the world — want to know, and they can handle the truth."

Pavel and Marina Popovich
This husband-wife duo was one part world-renowned cosmonaut (Pavel) and one part the Soviet Union's most celebrated female pilot (Marina). They held among their titles that of sixth human in orbit, first Soviet female to break the sound barrier, and holder of more than 100 aviation world records. Once their illustrious flying careers ended, both became ufologists. Pavel Russia's UFO association and claimed to have seen an unidentified aircraft zip past his airplane on a trip home from Washington, D.C., with a group of scientists. People onboard said it was triangular, brightly lit, and rocketed by at 1,000 miles per hour.

Marina one-upped him, though — she to have seen multiple UFOs and a "Bigfoot creature" — and after they divorced, she became the acclaimed expert, not Pavel. She a UFO glasnost of sorts under Gorbachev, claiming the Soviet government had pieces of five spaceships in its possession and reports of 14,000 UFO sightings, yet for decades researchers were "either fired or put in psychiatric hospitals." Her eventual book, simply called UFO Glasnost, spoke candidly about how Leonardo da Vinci, Jules Verne, and Ray Bradbury were alien mediums and Gorbachev had the markings of an extraterrestrial emissary because "he's an epoch-making phenomenon."