Part 40~ Beach Bash

Start from the beginning

He laughs and puts one hand up in defeat, "I tried."

Sam pulls up into the parking lot at the beach. I raise my eyebrows at him but he steps out of the car.

I follow suit, "what the hell are we doing at the beach?"

He doesn't speak and leads me down to the sand. I take off my Converses in a hurry and run after him, the burning sand scorching my feet. I decide to walk to the wet sand and breathe a sigh of relief as it relieves the pain. Sam is meters and meters ahead now.

I groan and chase him. He walks to a part of the beach, hidden behind the cliff. There's a rope holding a sign saying 'Restricted Access.' Where is he going?!

"Sam, are we allowed to go there?!" I call out, but he still ignores me.

I stand at the rope and hesitate before ducking underneath.

"Sam, what the—" I'm cut off by the sight of a large group of familiar faces.

"Surprise! Happy birthday!" they shout.

I laugh and bury my face in my hands. How did I think they all forgot my birthday? Tom isn't wearing a shirt and he runs over to me and picks me up, spinning me around.

He plants a kiss on my lips, "happy birthday love."

I'm laughing in shock, "and to think you forgot."

"I am anything but an asshole!" he pouts and I kiss him.

In the next few minutes, I'm overwhelmed with kind messages from people. Zendaya, Jacob, Haz, Jacque, the Hollands... everyone is here. It's perfect. The crowd splits and I see faces I had never expected to see in a while.

My younger sister Scarlet, sprints over to me, "happy birthday, Cor!"

She wraps me in a hug and it takes me a moment to register it. I hug her back and it's nice. It feels... familiar.

"I missed you so much, Scar," I whisper in her ear and then break apart.

My dad walks up to me next and kisses my cheek, "happy birthday, princess."

"Thank you daddy," I snuggle my head into his chest and he hugs me back.

Now the most unexpected one.

"Mum," my voice comes out as a whisper, "you came."

She smiles, "I wouldn't miss it for the world. Happy birthday, Corinna."

I smile back and embrace her in an awkward hug. She pulls back almost immediately and it makes my heart fall.

"I have someone to introduce you to," I say and then call Tom over. I hold his hand and gesture towards my mum, "mum, this is my boyfriend, Tom. Tom, my mother, Daniela."

He shakes her hand, "it's so nice to finally meet you, Mrs Bianco, I—"

"— what happened to the Italian?" she says quickly.

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose, "things didn't work out between us."

"Okay," she says promptly and to Tom says, "I'll see you around."

She walks off and Tom stares after her sadly. I watch her angrily and then turn to Tom. He's gutted.

I wrap my arms around his neck, "please don't be sad. I told you she'd be like this. It's my birthday, cheer up."

He grins instantly, "damn right it is."

"So, were you the mastermind behind all of this?" I ask him.

He raises an eyebrow, "who better than me?"

He hands me an envelope and I furrow my brows, "what's this?"

"It's your present," he smiles, "open it, I want to see your reaction."

I would fight it and insist he shouldn't have gotten me anything, but it wouldn't change the fact that he did. I shake my head and open the envelope as he pulls out his phone and starts to record me.

"You're recording this?!" I moan.

He laughs, "just open it!"

I pull out a sheet of paper with...

"Two V.I.P. tickets to a Kendrick Lamar concert?!" I squeal and jump up and down.

"One for you and one for me," he beams.

I leap into his arms and kiss his face repeatedly, "thank you, thank you, thank you!"

He chuckles and kisses my head, "happy birthday, darling."

I look down at the paper again and re-read it.

"This is in France," I frown, "and it's months away!"

He runs a hand through his hair, "yeah. I thought you and I could go on a trip. But if we break up, I guess—"

"—Tom, don't go there," I smile reassuring and put a hand on his cheek, "I can't see myself anywhere else in months, but with you."

He sighs, relieved, "thank god, Rina, because I feel the same."

He crashes his lips onto mine and we enjoy a passionate kiss.

The rest of the afternoon passes smoothly, with many songs and dancing, food and drinks, presents and wishes, splashing and joking. Minus the occasional scowls from my mother, the party is perfect.

And from now on, I want a big party for all of my birthdays.