Part 43~ I'll Always Love You

I wake up to a blinding light in the room. Something beeps. A heart monitor. I scramble and try to sit up and then wince in pain.

Tom stands up quickly from his seat and holds my hand, "hey, hey, hey, you're okay. Calm down."

"Tom," my eyes water with joy and he smiles.

"I'm so happy you're okay," I see his eyes tear up as well, "your family is on the way."

He has stitches on the side of his face and I run my fingers over them.

"What happened?" I say with worry.

He sighs, "we were in a car accident, Rina. It hit your side of the car and I managed to get out with only a scratch."

Everything floods back to me. The beaming lights, the car, Xavier behind the wheel... my breathing begins to quicken.

"Rina, I didn't get to say it. So here goes," he exhales and smiles, "I love you. So much. I'm sorry we fought. You nearly dying made me realise I don't want to lose you. I can't lose you."

I bite my tongue and tears begin to fall down my cheeks. Xavier threatened to kill Tom and he nearly killed me. I have to do this. For Tom. I'll manage to live a lifetime without him as long as he's alive and healthy.

"What's wrong?" he says concerned, "Rina. Talk to me."

"Tom. You need to go," I start to cry.

His face falls, "why? What did I do?!"

"Nothing, nothing, nothing! That's the whole point, Tom. You're perfect and I don't want you to get hurt. And if I stay with you, he will hurt you," I sob.

Tom sits down, "who, love? Xavier? He won't do anything, Rina. I promise you—"

"—you can't promise that Tom! He's the one who hit me with the car okay?! He threatened to kill you, Tom. He's too dangerous."

His jaw drops, "Rina, he won't hurt you. He won't hurt us. We will do anything to make sure of that."

I shake my head, "no, Tom. He will hurt us. And there's only one thing we can do."

"What are you saying?"

I cry and look away from him, "please don't make me say it."

"No, say it," he drops my hand, "say it, Rina. Say it, goddamnit!"

"We need to break up, okay?!" I weep, "are you happy? I said it."

He shakes his head in disbelief, "no, Corinna. It doesn't have to be like this. I'll protect you."

"It's not me I'm worried about, it's you! I'm doing all of this to protect you!" I shout.

His voice breaks, "well I don't need your protection! I freaking love you for God's sakes and I'd die for you!"

"I don't want you to die for me!" I shriek, "and if that means breaking up, then so be it!"

"What if we elope? What if we just run away?" he suggests.

I shoot it down, "you have a life, Tom! I'm not going to let you throw it all out for me! You need to think realistically."

"I can't think realistically, Rina, my life is hanging in the balance," he scoffs.

"And that's the whole point! Your life shouldn't be hanging in the balance! I'm in the way of you and a normal life."

"I am not leaving you," he states firmly.

"What can I do to get you to leave?!" I moan.

He stands up and leans over my bed, "look me in the eyes and tell me you want me to leave."

I look away from his face and cry some more.

"Rina, do it and I'll leave straight away."

I can't do it. I can't. I don't want him to go. But he has to.

"I'll never forget you, Tom."

"That's not what I'm waiting for."

"You have to leave."

He starts to cry, "want to and have to aren't the same thing! Do it, Rina or God forbid I will—"

I turn my head to him immediately "—I want you to go!"

He stands up, hurt and a tear runs down his cheek. He is in so much pain and my heart breaks into millions of pieces. He looks away from me and runs a hand through his hair. I'd never seen him so hurt.

He turns to leave the room and my voice comes out as a whisper, "I'll always love you, Tom."

He pauses at the door and pulls out a small box from his jacket. He strides towards me and throws it into my lap.

"I was meant to give this to you tomorrow. I had a whole romantic evening planned. Think of it as a promise ring," he chokes, "looks like I have to break all of the things I had promised myself."

And with that, he leaves. My heart falls as he leaves and my vision blurs up again. I use every ounce of energy in me and open the box. I fling the lid to the other side of the room, in anger at myself.

As I look down at the box, I begin to weep more. My gown is completely soaked in my tears. In the box lays the bracelet from London. The one I thought was beautiful. The one I said was too expensive... he brought it for me. I pull it out and run my fingers over it.

This fills my heart with more pain. I slide the bracelet on and lie down again.

I was hit by a car, but what I'm going through now is so much more painful. I'd rather be hit by a car many times than feel like this. A heavy weight lays on my chest and I cry for eternity.

A few minutes later, my family arrives. My younger sister jumps into bed with me and hugs me protectively. My parents fuss over me for a few minutes but once they take in the solemn expression on my face, they know they shouldn't.

Dad gently pulls Scarlet off of me, "Scar, let's go get something from the cafeteria."

The two of them leave me alone with my mum. An awkward silence lingers in the air. She gives me a sad look.

"I'm sorry about that boy," she whispers.

I sniffle, "Tom? But you didn't even approve of him."

"I did, it just... seemed too good to be true. You looked so light and happy, Corinna. It made me happy. I wish you would date someone with our culture, but he made you happy."

"How did you know about our break up?" I begin to tear up again.

She sighs, "when he's storming out of here, crying, it isn't a good sign."

He stormed out and he was crying. I made Tom cry. I start to sob again and my mother wraps me in her arms and strokes my back.

"Ma, I'm sorry. I left you guys when we were all going through the same thing and I didn't call. I was such an ass," I sob.

"It's okay. I'm here now, it's going to be okay," she whispers.

It doesn't feel like it was ever going to be okay.