The memory twisted his appetite away, but Kozua made himself finish. He didn't want to end up as another Hatawan body in the street.

***

Midday showed the first signs the two were getting close to Goldsriff. The cobblestones showed less wear and lay flat in the earth. A wooden post by the road, the first on their journey, indicated they could make it by sunrise the next day with limited stops. Rinnet's pace quickened, but Kozua lingered by the post. The carved letters, smooth around the edges, set a boulder in his stomach.

"Rinnet. Maybe we should wait." She didn't stop walking, and Kozua had to trot to catch up. "Rest again before we get there."

"No."

"The spirits are gathering again."

"Good," she said. "I have a reason to keep you around then."

"It's not—"

In a second Rinnet's fingers wrapped around Kozua's pale throat. "It's not what?" Kozua's thin rasp cut off as she gripped harder. "It's not what?"

Kozua's fingers scrabbled over Rinnet's, but already he was losing vision. His feet still touched the ground, but his legs started to collapse under his weight. Rinnet was shorter than himself, but their faces were now level. She looked excited. Kozua was not sure she would let go.

"If you so much as take the time to blink before we get to Goldsriff..."

She did let go, and Kozua fell to his knees. He didn't hear the end of the threat, and he didn't want to. One hand braced against the cobbles while the other grazed the skin of his neck. A spirit gleamed in the Passage; it had fed off his struggle. It waited expectantly, but after his breathing slowed Kozua waved it away. He was tired of violence, and the Hatawan way of peace would not allow him to act out of anger. Shame set in even at the sight of a spirit waiting for him to react.

Rinnet was far ahead now, but Kozua found it difficult to stand. Perhaps he could stay here, or turn back, but then what? He had nowhere to go but toward death. He couldn't be sure that wasn't where he was heading right now, but Rinnet was his only ally. Their relationship was tenuous, as evidenced by the bruises forming on his neck, but she valued him — his abilities. She valued his abilities, and that was the closest he could get to safety in Coreti. Alone, he'd be killed a hundred times over.

No, Kozua's life held no value to Rinnet, but his Strength could keep him alive so long as he could prove he was worth the trouble. Kozua wondered how much more he could reveal of the spirits without disgracing Hatawa and his murdered brethren. Nothing violent ... yet violence held the most appeal to Rinnet...

He thought on this as he heaved himself up from his scraped knees and caught up to Rinnet, or rather just behind her. Her steps threw puffs of dirt off the cobbles. Kozua's trailed the dust right back over them. He tried to be optimistic, but dread put a dry film over even the best of his hopes. The only relief in Goldsriff would be distractions for Rinnet, things to keep her occupied and hopefully give him a moment's rest.

Already Rinnet was distracted from the desperate squeaking of Kozua's constricted throat. Usually she would savor it a bit longer, but today she forgot it as soon as she turned back to the road. There were exciting things ahead. She had never been beyond King's Helm, but she knew of the nearby towns from the rare traveler or Guardsman. She was still surprised how close Goldsriff was, just under two days on foot. She always figured it was farther since outsiders were scarce around King's Helm, and she and Kozua hadn't met anyone on the road.