Chapter 14: The fake date

Rachel's POV
The day after the sleepover, we all woke up around the same time. We all got ready then Karen gave us a ride to school. Neither Kori, nor I had a car and asking Kori's sister for a ride was out of the question, so our only option was Karen's car or the bus. It's obvious which one we chose.

We arrived at school and dispatched, each going to her locker. I found Garfield waiting for me in front of mine. "Hey, Gar." I greeted.

"Hey, Rae." He replied nervously. Something was up. "Umm, Gar, is there something wrong?"

"Hehe. I, umm, wanted to ask you something. It's more of a favour." He scratched the back of his neck.

"Garfield, what is it?" I asked sternly. I had a bad feeling about this.

"Well, you see. I might have told my family that I have a girlfriend and there's this dinner party/family gathering thing that my mom is doing, and she wants me to bring my girlfriend with me to meet the family." He said sheepishly.

"Let me guess. You want me to pretend to be your girlfriend." I guessed while crossing my arms across my chest. "Exactly. I always knew you were smart."

"Garfield, why did you even tell them that you have a girlfriend in the first place?" I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Well, I did have a girlfriend, kind of. We weren't official but I wanted us to be. I really liked her and she claimed that she did too. But then I caught her cheating on me and I broke things off with her completely." His shoulders slumped down and he kept his gaze on the floor.

I put a hand on his shoulder and felt shivers run through my hand. Well that was new. I ignored the feeling and focused on what he said. I really wanted to know who did that to him but I couldn't pack up the courage to ask and I didn't want to stick my nose in other people's business. "I'm sorry you had to go through that." I said sincerely.

He gave me a weak smile, "The problem is that I can't tell my mom that I broke up with my 'girlfriend' because she would ask what happened and I don't want her to feel pity for me or make her concerned."

"But you told me. Why?" I asked curiously.

"Well, you're different, Rae. You know, you're the only person I told? I didn't even tell Vic. I just feel that I can tell you anything about me and not be afraid of your opinion about me because I know that you wouldn't judge me. I feel comfortable talking to you." He smiled at me. That was the best thing anyone had ever said to me.

I gave him a genuine smile and asked him, "When is this dinner party?"

"Tonight." He said in a low voice.

"TONIGHT?!" I yelled. He smiled sheepishly

He couldn't tell me earlier?! I didn't know if my so-called father would be home that night or not. Moreover, I used the last pills on him the day before and I didn't have enough money to buy another pack because they're expensive. Another thing is that I didn't have anything that could be worn to a dinner party. Most of my closet consisted of jeans and hoodies, and even the dress that I wore to Vic's party was a little torn at the neck. Don't ask me how it happened, I just discovered the tear a few days before, while looking through my closet.

I wanted to tell him that I couldn't go but then I looked at his face that was full of hope and couldn't say no to him. "Fine. But you owe me big time." I sighed.

"Oh thank you so much Rae. I'll never be able to repay you for this favour." He hugged me and I went stiff. I was so not used to this kind of affection, especially from a boy. I aslo had this weird feeling in my stomach and I felt like I was going to be sick. I patted him on the back awkwardly.

After he let go, he asked, "Do you want me to come pick you up?"

I quickly shook my head. "Uh, no. It's okay. I'll manage." The last thing I wanted was for him to see my miserable house.

"If you're sure. The dinner's at Sandro's restaurant, 6 o'clock. Don't be late." He scurried away after that as the bell rang signaling the start of the first period. (A/N: I just googled italian restaurants and chose a random one. Hehe)

Well, it was a good thing we arrived at school early or else I would've missed half of the first period after this long conversation. I was probably going to regret agreeing to go with him but, we all make stupid decisions. Cue the sigh.
—————
A/N: I am so terribly sorry for the awfully long wait. I'll try to make up for it as hard as I can.
Anyway, have you guys seen the titans official trailer? If you did, what are your thoughts about it?