Chapter 4: Home sweet home

Warning: Abusive scene ahead
Rachel's POV
After detention, came the moment that I dreaded the most. The moment that I had to see my father again, if he could even be considered a father. The few days before my mother died were when things went downhill. We were a pretty normal family in the past. I was an only child with two loving parents and things couldn't get any better. Then it all changed when my father lost his job. He became a drunk and would spend all his money on alcohol. My mother tried to talk to him a few times but every time they would have an argument. All I could do was just stand there and watch from afar. I was only 13 years old back then and I couldn't do anything.

One day my father came back home, completely drunk. He searched for my mother's money in their closet but luckily my mother caught him. Come to think of it, she should have just pretended to sleep. They had a huge fight and it ended with my mother's body laying lifeless on the floor. He was able to hide her body in an alley so the police thought that some criminals were the ones who beat her until she died. What he didn't know though was that I saw him beat her. I tried several times to tell the police what really happened but no one believed me. Everyone thought of him as the poor loving husband who lost his wife by a tragic incident. No one knew him for the monster he really was. No one but me.

I had to walk back home since I didn't have a car and there were no buses at that moment. We didn't live that far from the school so it didn't really matter. When I arrived home, I had the tiniest bit of hope that maybe he wasn't home. However, the universe hated me and I saw him standing right in front of me. He was staring at me with a menacing stare but I refused to appear weak in front of him and kept my straight face on.

"Where were you?" He asked me in a low intimidating voice.

"I had detention" I replied in a monotone voice while facing the ground.

He chuckled which confused me a lot but I had a feeling in my gut that told me I would wake up with A LOT of bruises tomorrow. He made his way slowly towards me then grabbed a chunk of my hair and pulled it backwards so I was looking up at him.

"So you're a troublemaker now huh? You think you can do anything you want? Guess what YOU'RE WRONG" he yelled at me and the next thing I know I was laying on the ground with a numbing pain in my right cheek. That is definitely going to leave a bruise.

He decided he didn't have enough and continued punching and kicking me in my stomach, ribs and back. Then he grabbed me from my arms with an extremely strong grip while yelling things like "you worthless little brat" and "you're a disgrace". He would also tell me that he despised having me as his daughter. I stayed silent through it all because I knew better than to say anything. I mean what was the point? He would just become more angry and I would become more sore.

I hated his presence. I hated that he was my father. I hated that I had to deal with his crap everyday. I hated that he killed my mother. I just hated every single thing about him. It was like his only purpose in this world was to make my life miserable.

After awhile he finally decided that he had had enough and left me alone to do whatever the hell he used to do. I tried getting up and was immediately greeted by an excruciating pain in my sides, ribs and stomach but mostly in my stomach. I fought the pain and slowly got up and went to my room. I layed in bed while staring at the ceiling. I was too tired to even change my clothes. I just wanted all of this to be over. I wanted to leave all of this behind me one day. I kept reminding myself that it was just a matter of one more year and I would be finally free from him and from this hell hole I called home.