Looming Death

The rain poured from the sky, soaking Adam as he trudged down the streets. Gabriel's rushes apologies were the last thing he wanted to hear as he stormed out of the shop. He was tired of the nightmares, of the demons which were constantly appearing to him and him only.

     The sky grew darker than his mood as he grew closer to his apartment. The city was shrouded with fog which made the shadows that stretched along the sidewalk seem to come to life. His shoes were soaked and squished with every step he took, only worsening his mood.

     Once again, he began to question himself. If what he'd been seeing was real, then why was he the only one who was put through this hell? Adam gritted his teeth. Why did he constantly have to fight for his sanity whether he was awake or asleep?

     The thought sent a shiver down his spine as he glanced down to see a golden light reflected onto a puddle at  his feet. His headache started up again as he crouched down for a closer look. From what he could see, nothing would have caused the light to appear on the water. It was almost as if the water itself was the source of the light.

     His cold eyes gleamed with confusion and fear as the light flickered before going out completely, turning the puddle black. The rain picked up and lightning light up the darkened sky, casting a shadow on him that couldn't be further from his own. His heart skipped a beat as he heard the unforgettable sound of a knife being sharpened.

     The fight or flight instinct kicked in, causing Adam to take off running down the nearest alley, his shoes thudding on the wet ground. The thunder that followed a second later was deafening. He couldn't hear anything other then the sound of a knife being sharpened on repeat.

     How would it feel to die? Would it hurt or would the pain fade as the life drained from my body? The thought allowed him to keep running as the sound of the other's footsteps stayed close behind. Will I ever get a chance to apologize to Gabriel?

Taking a sharp turn, he found himself met with a dead end as an amused laugh echoed through the alleyway. A cloaked figure stepped out into his line of sight, in no hurry to finish him off. Adam's back hit the high brick wall behind him. The next thing he knew, the knife was at his throat, it's blade glinting in the dim light. He didn't want to die yet. He still had to say sorry to Gabriel.

     A low growl forced its way out of his throat and his attacker winced, the knife shaking slightly in their grip and making a small cut on his throat and allowing blood to pour out of the wound.

     "Any last words, human?" The attacker said firmly, the voice male and filled with triumph.

     A rush of adrenaline went through him as his foot slammed into the stomach of his attacker, sending them a few feet back with a loud thud. Adam held a hand to his throat to stop that loss of blood. His breathing was a bit raspy and his head throbbed as he stumbled out of the alley, his attacker getting to their feet.

     There was no way that he was going to get out of here alive. Especially if his attacker was inhuman. Suddenly, a foot collided with the back of his knee and caused it to buckle. His eyes shut as he was repeatedly kicked in the stomach, causing him to throw up the contents of his stomach. Pain blossomed all over him from his cracked ribs and newly formed bruises as the life slowly drained out of him.

Adam was barely conscious as his attacker cried out in pain and collapsed with a bullet lodged in his lower stomach or when a hand grabbed his wrist to check for a pulse. He did however, allow the world to fade away around him.

***

So sorry for the short chapter! I know is been a while and I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things. I've also been planning to start a new book and switch back and forth between them for updates. Anyways, I'd appreciate if you could like and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter! Have a nice day! ^^

-AngelOfDeath1819