Chapter 3

"Hi, I'm Tate" he says with a toothless dimpled smile still on his face.

We wait for a few seconds.

"What's your name?"

"I'm umm... Kelsey"

"That's a nice name"

"Uh thanks" I say with a grin.

My nerves were getting very high. What if this boy, Tate thought I was strange just like every other person I've tried to talk to? I don't mind talking to him, but I'm always scared I'll say or do the wrong thing.

"So your here to see Dr. Harmon I'm guessing?" Tate asks

"Yeah. You too?" I say

"I just finished my session. He just lets me hang around here. I live next door from this house."

"Why are you here?"he asks

I'm not sure if I'm ready to tell him why I am actually here.

"I umm...uh-"

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked. It's none of my business anyways." Tate says sympathetically.

I finally decide to speak up.

"What book are you reading?" I say

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Have you read it?" he asks

"Yes actually I have, it's one of my favourites" I reply. You rarely meet a teenage boy who enjoys reading these days.

"I'm around half way through. I really like it too so far."

I feel my phone vibrate, so I take it out of my pocket and turn it on.

I was hoping it was just going to be a message from Cassie or my mother, but instead it was a message from Lexi; the girl who made my life a living hell for me at school. I still don't know how this day she got my number, because I know there is no way in hell I would ever give it to her.

From Lexi:

Hey loser, why weren't you at school? You know what, never mind, I don't give two fucks why you weren't here. I just wanted to tell you that when you get back, me and my group are going to beat the living shit out of you. Okay? Can't wait till you come back! :)

I aggressively push the power button of my phone and sigh. So I try to kill myself, and then get threatened by some girl at my school? Life is just great!

"Who was that?" Tate asks

"What?" I say

"Who was that? you looked pretty unhappy."

"Oh uh just some girl from my school."

"I dropped out of high school. That place is shit man. It's just full of fake people."

"I know! I hate it. I wish I could drop out. But my mom would never let me."

"That's too bad."

My phone buzzes again. Not again. I wasn't ready for another text from Lexi and her gang.

Luckily, it was just Cassie.

From Cassie💖:

Hey r u gonna be at school tomorrow?

I hoped not. I didn't want to have to face Lexi and the other people who just plain wanted me dead.

To Cassie💖:

Idk...

From Cassie💖:

Please come! I miss you😭😭