Chapter 2. Olly Olly Oxen free

He stayed till about two a.m. when we finally decided to call it a night. We spent most of the time in each other's arms just talking. Finally, we both agreed that he needed to go home. I just knew his family needed to know that he was safe at home for their peace of mind before going to bed, especially with him being away for so long. Oliver was also concerned about me getting some sleep since I was scheduled to work in a couple of hours. He went for the door a couple times but he hesitated to leave and truthfully I didn't want him to go either. After many false goodbyes, we finally had a long kiss goodnight before he finally left. I stood in my doorway watching him, knowing that every step he took was taking him further away from me. The further he got- the more it stung and I couldn't make sense of it. Of course, I know it was crazy to already miss him and yet I watched until he was out of sight.

***

I didn't start until noon so I was able to sleep in some this morning. I was usually an early riser but today I appreciated the chance for the late morning because I barely slept last night; Ollie overtook my thoughts. I could smell him- long after he had been gone. After Oliver left he texted me on his walk home. After texting back a forth a couple times, I had to call him. As crazy as it sounds I really missed him. He almost decided to come back, but I urged him not to. I finally closed my eyes at around four a.m., so I was glad I was working a mid shift.

Today, I was only scheduled for a couple of hours. I worked the lunch rush and started dinner service. I was assigned a good station today, one of the busiest. I tended to my customers and was able to get through the day making some great tips for a Thursday lunch; even though occasionally hiding a runaway yawn or two. Around three o'clock, Oliver walked in behind Amy. I was talking with some of the regulars as I spotted them. I couldn't help it my eyes locked onto him and they held my attention as they walked through the front entrance. Amy smiled towards me as she passed me and was headed for the back of the house. Oliver followed her direction but he stayed by the kitchen entrance. He greeted some of the kitchen staff, over the counter and I went back to my tables. Every once and awhile I would glance over and catch him staring in my direction. To be honest, he had my full attention as well; but at least I tried to play it off and not make it so obvious. I struggled to focus on what I was doing, I even found myself stumbling words while touching a couple tables (restaurant lingo: for checking on my tables) as I was distracted by him being in the same room and so close. As I headed back towards the kitchen. I couldn't help but smile like a giddy school girl as I passed him to walk through the kitchen doors. He quickly followed. He passed me up, taking hold of my hand and lead the way.

"Oliver, where are we going? I have customers."

He led me through the back of the house, past the kitchen, past the employee lockers, and into his dad's office and closed the door.

He suddenly turned and kissed me softly. "I've just missed you!" He said as his lips formed a smile and he embraced me.

"I missed you too," I replied, "but I'm working."

"I know, but you're off soon right?" He whispered.

"In about thirty minutes!"

"I was wondering- if you would go for a walk with me?"

"Oliver Cartagena- are you finally asking me out? You finally worked up the nerve, and yet it only took you how many years? " I laughed as he wrapped his arms around me pulling me in closer.

I kissed him one more time and headed for the door.

"I'll see you in a little while." I pulled away as he held onto my hand slightly tugging not wanting to let go. As he finally released his grip with one last kiss, I walked out and went back to my tables.