Music Teaching ends after a painful, repetitive hour as the Teaching Bell sounds through the air.

A sliver of dread settles inside my stomach in anticipation for the next Teaching. Inspection.

It’s not really a Teaching, considering we don’t learn anything. We stand in perfect, silent, unmoving rows while Officials stalk up down, searching for anything suspicious, anything out of place. Meanwhile, different Officials search our rooms to make sure that nothing is hidden.

They don’t normally find anything. I think it’s more of a warning and precaution. I don’t think they actually expect to find anything.

After it’s been determined that we’ve all been the perfect little children we are expected to be, an Official leads us in The Pledge and The Anthem.

I’ve had the words memorizes for years, ever since I first learned to talk.

First, our voices blend together in a monotone for The Pledge.

I pledge my allegiance to Ellen and Derek Windsor. I owe them my perfect obedience and respect. They saved my life, therefore I owe them mine. Without them, I know I would be in the hands of the horrors of the Disease and the outside world. May the greatness of the Windsors be praised forevermore.

Shortly after, we sing the simple and bland tune of The Anthem. We are careful to keep our voices at the accurate level. We can’t be too loud and draw attention to ourselves, but if we sing to softly, we won’t be ‘showing enough respect’.

Oh great and wondrous Windsors,

Our hopes and faith lie in thee.

You saved us from the outside world,

And from the horrid Disease.

When the world started to fall,

When the earth was in despair,

The loving Windsors saved our lives,

The Windsors they truly care.

Oh, great and wondrous Windsors,

Our hopes and faith lie in thee.

You saved us from the outside world,

And from the horrid Disease.

We are dismissed by the leading Official and we file back out of the room, flooding the halls. There are about one hundred fifty girls who are fifteen years walking down this hallway, but you can’t separate out a single one.

274 (Complex Series, #4)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara