Thirteen

He gave me a thin-lipped smile. "I thought you'd have matured, but it turns out you're still exactly the same self-centred little girl you were five years ago.

I felt like someone had punched me in the chest and knocked all the air out of my lungs. I couldnt speak as he stared at me, waiting for me to say something. Hadnt he told me, earlier as well as just now, that hed wanted me? What game was he playing here?

Not even one objection? he huffed.

No, I croaked, gathering all the strength I had to speak. Youre right. I am still just a young girl, the girl you said youd fallen in love with. Im not mature enough for you. Go ahead. Have fun with Liza. I simply do not care. With every word I spoke, my voice grew steadier – and colder. Judging by the pained expression on Ians face, my last words had felt as bad to him as his had to me just moments ago. Now it was his turn to be speechless.

He opened his mouth but no words came out. I stood there for a few more seconds, hoping he would say something. He didnt. So I turned around and made my way back to Martin and the others. Only I didnt get that far. All of a sudden, Liza was blocking my way. Had she heard our conversation? Looking up at her, the smug grin on her face told me all I needed to know.

You two know each other? she asked, an eyebrow raised.

I shrugged. Not really.

Her eyes narrowed. Youre still exactly the same self-centred little girl you were five years ago, she quoted Ian mockingly. Going on, she said in an even more exaggerated voice, I am just a young girl, the girl you said youd fallen in love with.

I swallowed hard. So? Its not like thats against the rules.

She chuckled. Certainly not. But what about sweet Martin over there? What do you think hed do if he knew?

What do you want? Youve got Ian. Ive got Martin. There is no need to fight.

See, thats where youre wrong. This is a competition, after all.

Id completely misread her. Apart from Anastasia, who just seemed slightly cold towards me, everyone had appeared to be nice. Clearly, that wasnt the case.

As Liza looked at me, awaiting some kind of reaction, I desperately tried to figure out what I would say. Could I make some kind of deal? Should I just ignore her threat? Or should I threaten her back? I had nothing to hold against her, but

Well. Ill have you know that Ian isnt a big fan of conniving bitches. Just something to keep in mind if you plan on staying with him for the rest of the competition.

I had just turned around when I heard her speak again. How exactly do you two know each other?

Of course our hiding that we had met before would lead to suspicions when finding out that we, in fact, did know each other. She had me. I wouldnt let her know that, though.

As casually as I could, I said, He was a co-worker.

I didnt turn back around to check if she looked like she believed it. I simply walked away and sat back down next to Martin.

Everything okay? he asked.

I smiled up at him. Everything is just fine.

He wasnt entirely convinced. What did he want to talk to you about?

He thought Id wanted him to choose me and felt he owed me an explanation. He didnt. I was relieved when he said Lizas name.

Martin grinned. Good. He enveloped me in his arms and planted a kiss on my forehead. Because I fully intend to spend the rest of my time here with you.