The Sun and the Moon

Candace hummed along cheerfully as she floated around the pool. The music from the Gala drifted softly up to the pool. The air smelled like Chlorine, and the water glimmered like gems from the city lights. The dress she wore earlier was pretty but it was so constricting. Now, she could finally breathe a little.

"Guys, I have something to tell you," said Emily in a soft voice. Candace perked up. Emily had been in her feelings all day, and Kyle with his new girl was probably the final blow. Candace had no idea what she would do if Brent had decided to come with another girl. But, this wasn't about her. It was about Emily. She would've never imagined in a million years that she would be sneaking into a hotel pool with Emily of all people. She was the school's disciplinary prefect, for heaven's sake. Yet, the in the past months, Emily had become one of her closest friends. Sure, she still hung out with Mandy and Jeff from baking; Zola from music; and friends she see in class. But Emily was one of the few people that Candace felt she was close with not because they had the same interests or the same class together every day, but simply, because. They liked each other and that was that.

Candace bobbed closer to the edge of the pool to hear what Emily had to say. The water felt cool and relaxing and she slipped her face into the water and out. As much as she would rather not, her mind began to drift to Brent. She wondered what might've happened to him. Did he get sick? Another obligation? She stopped midtrack when she caught a glimpse of the familiar red head through the window. Speak of the devil.

There he was in the tux that she had picked out for him. Candace pressed her fist to the window pane. Just two stories below them on the balcony. On the 48th floor. Brent was trapped to a chair, bound by ropes, and being tethered over the balcony wall.

What. In. God's. Name.

"G-guys," Candace choked out, "Brent."

"What about that tosser?" Said Naomi petulantly. Her eyes widened when she saw what Candace was seeing. "Oh God. Brent. He's in deep shit."

Emily ran up to the window and peered down. She couldn't hear what they were saying but it was safe to assume that they were interrogating the hell out of him and were beginning to lose their patience. Candace let out a yelp when she saw Brent get hit again in the face. Emily scowled. How the hell did Brent get caught up in such a mess?

"I'll call the cops." Said Naomi.

"No, not the cops." Replied Emily calmly, not betraying her emotions. "Brent will also be in trouble then."

"What about the security team for the hotel? They'll help, right?" Suggested Naomi.

Emily shook her head. The zip code we are in is 10011. Under the jurisdiction of the Medici Gang. The hotel is their's. The guys who were using this hotel to torture Brent knew this too. Unless they had a death wish, they wouldn't be here. Which means they were backed up by Medici. What the hell was David doing? The Medici used to support the Flaming Dragons.

"They're useless in this situation." Sighed Emily. Stay here. If I don't come back with Brent within an hour, then call Maddox. If he doesn't pick up. Then you can call the police."

"You? What're you going to do by yourself?" Gasped Naomi. She wrung her hair nervously.

"I am coming with you," said James determinedly. He climbed out of the pool and reached for his suit.

"Same," said Candace through shuddered breaths.

"No, I can handle this by myself," said Emily as she chucked off her heels. "You guys keep watch up here. I'll be right back." She smiled quickly, hoping it came off reassuring, before walking out of the room.