s e v e n t e e n

Start from the beginning

her schedule was cleared for the rest of the day so she had time to visit hyunwoo before going to the police station. what hyunwoo had to say might be or not valuable for her interview with the police.

soon rushed through the people around the clinic, quickly looking for the elevators and finally towards hyunwoo's floor.

her eyes moved around as she tried to locate the room that chaeyeong had said to her over the phone and there it was. "304" she muttered as she took a heavy breath and finally knocked on the door.

she was soon invited to step inside and the view was really like a stab in her heart.

there it was, hyunwoo laying on his back in a white medical bed, his face partially covered with bandage.

soon couldn't hide her surprise.

she knew he had been stabbed but somehow she never asked where exactly. "hyunwoo-ssi?" she asked, her eyes suddenly turning glassy.

the wife stood from her chair and came close to her. "soon-ssi... - she looked worried, constantly glancing at hyunwoo and the woman – he's a bit sleepy but he's awake. please do not disturb him with you know what – she said clearly referring to the topic about work or hyungwon for the matter.

soon just nodded. "i'll go get a coffee, would you like something?" the sweet woman asked. but soon shook her head.

"no. i am fine... you can go." she nodded and the woman did the same. she left the room, not before glancing at her husband first.

she approached the bed and looked down at him. his strong body somehow seemed weak at that point and she noticed his right hand was trembling. "soonie-ssi?" his voice was weak, almost as a whisper.

soon tried not to cry in front of him, she dragged the closest chair and sat there, holding his hand. "are you alright? how do you feel?" she asked worried.

he coughed. "i- i am fine, alive at least." he dared to joke. but the joke wasn't funny. he actually could have died.

soon's tears found their way out and they soon were running down her cheeks. "i am so sorry hyunwoo... for everything." she said while shaking her head.

he did the same. "no, please. it's not your fault... it's nobody's fault – he swallowed hard – not even his." he finally admitted but with a angered tone.

but hearing this supposed a big relief to soon. that meant he also understood it hadn't been hyungwon, chae hyungwon, the patient.

"i know... this... - she started, trying to find the proper words – this was such an unfortunate event. i am deeply sorry, this should have never happened to you."

he shrugged. "it's the ugly part of this job i guess?" he said with a harsh voice.

hyunwoo noticed she was staring at the bandage. "it's okay... i am married anyway. i said to my wife i'll look ugly but she says i'd actually look hotter. she says that this scar will give me character." he said laughing but soon stopped when it started to hurt.

soon felt bad for him and she caressed his hand. "you're alive. it's what really matters. right?"

hyunwoo stared and her and finally nodded.

they remained quiet for a few seconds and then soon dared to touch the topic. even if his wife had told her not to, she needed to know.

"hyunwoo... i am sure you know why i am really here?" she said softly.

she noticed his eyes were alert. "to see if i was alive?" he joked and tried to laugh at his own joke.

"of course... but there's another reason... you know it, right?"