11.

I was supposed to go to school on Sunday for cleaning services. Apparently, the party had left a hurricane of zebra-striped and cheetah-spotted Safari junk behind, and the zoo was expected to be cleared out before Monday.

When I blinked my eyes open however, it was nearly eleven o'clock and Atticus was gone.

"Atticus said Becky said you'd already done enough painting work for the party beforehand, so you were excused from having to clean," Chiara told me with a smile, while pouring me and Dad a glass of fresh orange juice at the breakfast table.

"Oh, I see. That's nice of her," I replied, keeping my real thoughts to myself. I wondered if that was true, or if Atticus simply didn't want me to come after yesterday evening and made something up. I couldn't say it wasn't still awkward on the ride home, and I wasn't sure how to fix it.

Speaking of things to fix: "Hey, I was thinkin'," I said, glancing at Chiara and Dad. "There's this Escape Room event in the city this weekend. There are all kinds of themes, and it's way cheaper than usual. I was thinkin' it could be fun to sign up for one and grab some dinner after?"

"That sounds lovely!" Chiara immediately replied, but then the corners of her mouth drooped. "Atticus won't be home today, though. And he'll eat at Corey's place."

"Oh. Well, it's still possible with three people?" I said, glancing at Dad.

Dad frowned. "That's a nice idea, Kade, but some other time alright? I have a lot of work ahead of me the coming few weeks, and I need Sunday to rest up and do my readin' and other preparation."

"That's alright, I understand," I said, only slightly let down. It was just a whim I'd come up with about an hour ago after all, no big deal.

Chiara thought differently. She and Atticus had more in common than just their appearance. Chiara's displeased look was incredibly similar to Atticus's. I hadn't seen it on her face before and it was strange. 

Chiara clearly disagreed with Dad letting his work come first, but she didn't speak her mind in front of me.  The rest of breakfast went by with some small talk between me and Chiara, and I could hardly believe Dad didn't sense the mood. 

Then again, he'd never been good at it. Dad was the kind of man who needed things spelled out for him. One of the reasons his marriage with Mom didn't work out was because she was inclined to swallow her complaints and work harder. She swallowed and swallowed until they one day burst out. Like a hurricane of rage, except with worse consequences than Safari-themed junk all over the auditorium floor. 

I had a feeling Chiara was waiting for me to leave the room before saying something, so I helped her by excusing myself and running up the stairs the moment breakfast was finished. And I was proven right. 

Chiara probably didn't realise just how well you could actually hear what was going on downstairs on the first floor, because I caught her words crystal clear. 

"Your son is going to stay with us for only a few weeks, you should spend some time with him. Free up one afternoon isn't so much to ask, is it?" I heard Chiara reason with Dad. 

Dad responded something, but he was much quieter so I could only hear a low humming.

"Of course he's going to say he understands, what else can he say?" Chiara replied to whatever Dad said. "I know work and winning football competitions with your team is important, but so is your son. You'll regret it later if you don't spend time with him now."

I cringed, and ran up the second flight of stairs, finding I could, luckily, no longer hear them in my room.

I wasn't angry or disappointed. I'd sprung the plan on Chiara and Dad last minute, not expecting everyone to drop everything because I wanted to go out. It was just a thought, an invitation if everyone happened to be able to go. I could easily think of something else later and announce it on time.

And I honestly wasn't offended, either. I supposed there was a lot of pressure on the Pinewood football team as the brand new underdog turned champions to keep up their winning streak in the new season.

One of the large reasons why I could never be a 'real' jock. The pressure. I knew myself, and I'd crumble under pressure like the chocolate chip cookies I'd also never, ever give up to get fit enough to join a varsity team.

I heard Chiara's light footsteps ascend the stair a few moments later. She softly knocked on my open door.

I turned around in my desk chair and smiled extra wide to show her I wasn't upset. "Yes?"

"Your Dad and I have decided the Escape Room and dinner today sounds lovely," she said, running a hand through her hair. "We'd love to go. So, why don't you come downstairs and book one?"

Chiara gestured me to follow her downstairs, and I did.

"I mean, it's really okay if today's no good," I tried, but Chiara adamantly shook her head.

"We're going today," she said, and that was final. She pointed at the study.

"While your Dad and I clean up breakfast, you can find some Escape Room options on the family computer. We'll join you after cleaning up." 

She laughed. "Well, it's more like Atticus' second computer to be honest since your Dad and I aren't that tech-savvy. He mostly uses it for school assignments. No distractions like video games installed. Maybe that's good for your concentration, too? Feel free to use it in the future."

"Okay, sure, I'll go right ahead and do that. And thank you, Chiara," I replied, already knowing I'd never touch that computer again. Like Atticus needed me trespassing on his territory even more.

It already felt awkward, taking the computer out of sleep mode and realising Atticus had left a gazillion tabs open. 

My eyes automatically scanned the screen and I caught a brief glimpse of each tab. Lots of football related stuff, math questions google answers, Pinewood's school website, Youtube (so much for no distractions). There was also an open email account with a chat in the corner.

Like all other windows, I caught a glimpse of this one.

They said there was a thing called the 'cocktail party effect.' It meant being able to hear your name from across the room, even if there was lots of noise surrounding you.

My theory was that the 'I see my name in the chatbox effect' was just as real. I couldn't help it. My eyes shot to the bottom right corner where there was an open window. A chat window with my name in it.

I only caught a little bit. Just Jonah's name, and him saying a sentence with 'Kade' in it. I averted my eyes from the rest of his sentence because it was none of my business what he said to Atticus about me. But looking away made my gaze land on Atticus' last message instead.

Atticus: I can't 'just ask him out' Do you have any idea how inappropriate that would be?

"Whoa whoa!" I exclaimed, leaning back as far as I could in the office chair.

My heart pounded like I'd just done something illicit. Maybe I had, but damn it, I didn't mean to snoop! Who left their chats open like that?

Right, people who don't expect anyone else to use their pretty much private computer and invade their privacy.

"Kade? Your dad already finished cleaning while I went up to get you! Are you ready for us to sign up?" Chiara called from the hallway, and I nearly jumped.

"Yes, yes! Ready!"

Was it just me, or did my squeaky voice just raise back up to pre-puberty levels? I took a few deep breaths. "Okay, Escape Room website," I muttered to myself with a pounding heart. "Open it and ignore everything else. Just leave it."

I didn't see anything. I'd just have forget. Get spontaneous amnesia or something, because if Atticus found out I'd accidentally read his bits of his chat with Jonah... Well, given from his reaction to Mandy earlier, he'd probably never talk to me again.