1.2

The Stoic Protector - Guard Devon

**********

When Hillary thought she could no longer escaped death, another dark figure appeared in a flash. Unlike the previous one who wore a dark ninja a outfit, this one's face was not covered by any cloth. His devilishly handsome looks were outstanding, however, this man's eyes were unfeeling and had a stoic face that could not be rippled by any slight changes.

At the blink of my eye, the assassin was already dead as it drowned on its own pool of blood that littered on the marbled floor within the dimming room. The sight was ghastly terrifying and to see it through Hillary's eyes held no difference if Maxine would be witnessing this through her original body. She was so scared and frightened that she didn't know she was already crying silently.

"Princess, come with me. I'll protect you..." A stoic voice was heard echoing on her ears.

Hillary looked up with a misty and puffy eyes to Devon, her protector.

In the story, Devon was the one who helped her escaped the slaughter but they were separated due to circumstances. Devon used his self as a bait to lure the enemies on following him instead of the Princess so they parted ways before giving the Princess an instruction to go seek help from the Kingdom of Avalon. Under the pursuit of Princess Hillary to seek refuge from another Kingdom, she experienced all kinds of evil and harsh mistreatment on her way travelling from far places. Devon thought that the Princess was already dead as he saw the Princess dress covered with a lot of blood on the forest ground. Devon with his serious injury still endured the pain just to follow the Princess on Avalon Kingdom. On his way there, he passed a forest and saw the evidence of the Princess' demise. As a loyal protector, Devon wanted to kill himself for failing to protect the Princess. He could no longer face the King and Queen of Light Kingdom with a face held high after this, even on death. With a decisive mind, he stabbed himself. Devon closed his eyes as he waited for his death until he lost consciousness. But when Devon opened his eyes again, Princess Cynthia of the neighboring Kingdom saved him from peril owing him a huge debt. Devon started to devote his self to Princess Cynthia and even help with the killing of Princess Hillary whom he had no longer knew for she made a huge change with both in appearance and temperament.

Maxine almost cursed herself aloud for being so unsympathetic towards the antagonist as she wrote Princess Hillary's storyline to be this tragic and hateful. This thing, she only could blame anyone but herself.

"Devon..." She called softly. "I'm scared..."

There was a tremble on her tone and Hillary's face was looking pale from fear and shock. She could not take having to suffer all those cruelty on behalf of the original host. After this will be the start of Hillary's bad luck and sufferings.

I have to do something to change my course of fate. Why didn't I transmigrate earlier so I can have time to prevent this from ever happening?

There was a slight change on Devon's expression that escaped Hillary's eyes for a fleeting second. "I'm here, Princess. I'll protect you with my life..."

Reluctantly, Hillary nodded. Loyal or not, she could not really trust his words so much. After all, he was one of those people who teamed up to put Princess Hillary to her end.

To my end as well.... But I'll make sure I will not suffer the same thing the original host had experienced. I'll used what I could have to survive on this 'another place and time' until I could find a way to go back home. For now, I have to be patient and gather people to be at my side to protect me. Knowing how unforgivable I was to create Princess Hillary's life this way. Bad luck will be my greatest enemy in here for I'm sure I will not experience any favorable circumstances in this world.

Cries for help and mercy, screams of terror and pitiful voices of children echoed faintly and as it goes nearer to Hillary's quarter room, the noises and chaos seemed to become more prominent around the ears.

For a moment, Hillary do not know what to do. She only came to her senses when a sudden warmth embraced her and the whistle of the wind could be heard around her ears. She was on Devon's embrace and they were flying up high, the qingqong technique.

On the ground, Hillary saw the pile of dead bodies of her servants and trusted maids. Her relatives and distant blood related family branches were also not spared as they travel farther away from the castle. She saw her parents corpse lying on the ground as they tried to reach each other's hands but was an inch not enough before they breathed their last.

Maybe, it was grief from the original host or compassion to all of these people that Hillary sobbed on Devon's hard and surprisingly warm chest. Hillary felt someone patted her for comfort but she felt otherwise.

This is the first time, Hillary personally witnessed such brutal scene and merciless killing. Even the little children were not spared. How much more for the babies on the castle? For once, Hillary felt like a murderer for she was the one who orchestrated this event to happen. Though it was just a story on her world but here, it was real just as this host's broken heart.