ii. Peter Quill

' Nicknames are the most essential in life, more valuable than names. '

X A N D A R  ,  2 0 1 4  .

Cassidy Ohura sat on the edge of the stone water fountain in the middle of the Xandarian town centre. Groot stood barely three feet away from her, drinking the water from the fountain in a disorderly fashion as the young Terran tried not to laugh at him.

"Xandarian's, what a bunch of losers," Rocket spoke up from where he stood not too far ahead of her "All of them in a big hurry to get from something stupid to nothing at all." He pointed out distastefully as he continued to look through his fugitive tracking device.

Cassidy looked to where Rocket was looking as he began to taunt another Xandarian, the young girl giggling quietly at his outer monologue.

"Look at this guy, can you believe they call us criminals when he's assaulting us with that hair cut!" He continued as Cassidy rose to her feet, pulling off her boots as she climbed into the water fountain to get the twigs that Groot was dropping in there "What is this thing? Look how it thinks its so cool, its not cool to get help! Walk by yourself you little gargoyle!" 

Cassidy straightened up again as she collected all the sticks, passing them to Groot who hummed in appreciation as he let his vines wrap around the fallen twigs. 

"Look at Mr Smiles over here, wheres your wife old man. What a Class A pre-vert." Rocket taunted before he broke out into a round of laughter "Right Groot?" He turned to look at his companions, groaning as he caught sight of them a few feet away in the fountain "Don't drink fountain water you idiot, that's disgusting." He pointed out causing the Flora Colossus to frown sadly as he pointed to Cassidy "Yeah I know, she's just as bad. Blue get the hell outta there!" 

Groot grunted in indignation as he tried to play it off cool, seeing that trying to get the blame put on Cassidy hadn't worked.

"Yes you did! I just saw you doing it, why are you lying?" Rocket accused before his device started whiring, pulling him away from the conversation as he looked down at it "Whoa, looks like we got one." He announced as Groot extended his roots to Cassidy, pulling her from the fountain as she quickly slipped her boots back on, fiddling with the wiring in her shoulder as it reacted weirdly to the water "Okay hummie, how bad does someone wanna find you." 

As Rocket brought up the guys information Cassidy straightened herself up, pushing the wires back into her shoulder as she pulled her signiture tattered black leather jacket tighter over her arms.

"Forty thousand units," Rocket breathed in delight as Cassidy perked up, a small smirk gracing her features as she realised they were gonna have a lot of money real soon "Groot! Blue! We're gonna be rich!" He cheered before turning to the pair and frowning in disbelief.

Cassidy turned in confusion and laughed when she found Groot had returned to the fountain again, trying to drink from it as the majority sprayed him in the face. 

Rocket whined in disbelief as he visibly deflated "At least he's getting cleaned up." Cassidy laughed causing Rocket to scowl at her in annoyance.

..........

As Rocket, Groot and Blue tailed the man identified as Peter Quill, they caught sight of him fighting with another woman, her skin was a bright green and her hair faded from black to pink. Cassidy could almost instantly identify her as Gamora, the adoptive daughter of Thanos the mad Titan.

They all climbed the side railing, realising they wouldn't make it in time if they went up the roadsides. 

Cassidy got to the top right after Rocket, pulling herself up in time to watch the Crazy Raccoon launch himself at Gamora and stop her from stabbing Quill.

"Put him in the bag! Put him in the bag!" Rocket tried to tell Groot as the Flora Colossus began wrapping his vines around Gamora instead, misunderstanding what he was told to do "No, not her! Him! Genders man!" Rocket exclaimed as he stayed gripping Gamora's head.

The woman let out an angered roar before biting down on Rocket's fury little hand, a loud crunch sounding as he pulled it back. Cassidy ran forwards, going towards Quill as he began to get up, running in the opposite direction.

She took note of how he and Gamora where soully after the orb he held in his hand as Gamora threw a knife, knocking it from the Terran's grasp as it dropped and rolled off the edge of the overpass. 

Cassidy dropped down and slid under the railing, sliding under with unnatural flexible durability as she grabbed the orb and looked up to meet Gamora's angered gaze. 

Smirking, the brown haired beauty started running away from the Titan Lords daughter, laughing as Quill dropped down and tried to stop her, only managing to get himself pushed away by an invisible force that surrounded Cassidy as he collided with Gamora, quickly attaching a rocket to the woman as he threw her half way across the lot.

Quill turned to Cassidy in triumph as he reached out his hand for the Orb "Come on kid, give me the -- " He was cut off though as Groot came up behind him and caught him in the brown sack Rocket had brought for that reason.

Cassidy looked at the Orb curiously for a moment before she pulled the black repaired backpack from her shoulders and placed it inside safely.

"Quit smiling you idiot, we're supposed to be professional." Rocket rolled his eyes as he saw Groot's cheesy grin. He turned expecting to leave before seeing Gamora approach, passing the Raccoon and shoving him to the ground as she went straight for Cassidy.

Groot defensively stood in front of the young girl resulting in both his arms being cut off and then his stomach being sliced, he whimpered in sadness causing Cassidy to grind her teeth in anger. 

The small girl stood uncaring as the angered woman approached, raising her sword to strike her again before a force rattled her bones, throwing her back as Cassidy blinked in an uncaring manner.

In this time Quill had been able to escape as the woman fell to the ground unconscious.

"I live for the simple things," Rocket grinned as he raised his blaster gun, the weapon expanding as he put it into action "Like how much this is gonna hurt." He muttered before firing the shot, watching Quill scream and convulse as he fell to the ground in agony "Yeah, writhe little man." Rocket laughed.

Groot stood whimpering as he uselessly kicked at his severed arms. Both Cassidy and Rocket turned to him as the latter sighed "It'll grow back you daft idiot, quit whining." 

A low whirring sound was heard as the group was encased in a golden light, being lifted from the ground a few feet as Cassidy groaned "Not again."

"Subject 89P13 drop your weapon." The Nova corps instructed as Rocket let the weapon drop to the ground, muttering profanities as the man continued "By the authority of the Nova Cor you are under arrest."

Cassidy watched as they raised Gamora's limp body from the ground, letting it join them as they were all arrested and taken on board one of the Nova Cor's ships.