i. Past

' A nickname is the heaviest stone that the Devil can throw at a man. '

E A R T H  ,  2 0 0 1  .

A man, no taller than 5'11 stood in an alley, his bright blue eyes and scruffy dark brown hair gave away that he wasn't from around those parts. His squared jaw, covered hastily by untamed stubble caused his lips to chap as he rubbed them harshly together, catching on the rough hairs as he stood out in the cold Autumn night air, a small bundle held tightly in his arms as he breathed heavily, looking around frantically as he feared he was being followed.

A commotion could be heard not too far away as the man pushed himself back into the dimly lit wall, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible as people passed the alleyway in a hurry.

Thinking it was safe again, he removed his back from the wall and turned to look behind him as he walked towards the busy street, hoping to hide amongst the busy Londoners and make his way home safely with his young daughter, the infant was still barely two weeks old and already beginning to show signs.

As he turned back to continue down the alley though he gasped as someone appeared in front of him, their skin a rustic blue tone that clashed horribly with their yellow and brown attire. The man took in his sickly thin figure and unusually tall height as he took a step back. 

"Hand her over." The new arrival spoke, tone demanding but calm as their gaze fell to the infant in the mans arms "Or pay the price." He spoke ominously as he offered his arms out for the child.

"Never." The man spat, kicking out with his foot as it collided with the strangers knee, a popping sound bouncing about on the walls before it calmed, the blue skinned man sneered, unfazed by the act of violence but unpleased with the refusal to be given the child.

"Very well." He sighed, angered but well composed as he folded his hands over his stomach calmly "Have it your way human." He spat, flicking his wrist as the man let out a strangled noise, waking the previously calm and sleeping beauty in his arms as his body fell limply to the ground, the child safe as she was caught by an invisible force, being manoeuvred and placed in the blue skinned mans arms as he smiled down at her sickly sweet.

The blue skinned man looked lazily to the body on the ground, seeing the bones sticking out of his neck where they had been snapped, leaving the body in a fatal condition as the life left the mans eyes, his head lolling to the side uselessly.

"Well aren't you a sight." The blue skinned man sighed before he looked down at the baby again "Come sweetness, we have galaxies to cross before the auction begins, you my sweet, are going to make me rich." He grinned sadistically as the child began to cry, her glistening blue tears only making the man cackle with mirth as the oddly coloured substance slipped from her eyes and ran down her cheeks "Rich indeed."

H A L F W O R L D  ,  2 0 0 9  .

The young girl lay on a roll out bed on the concrete floor, oblivious to the world around her as she slept soundly. Her long brown hair covered her face to a degree, obscuring the sight of her unnaturally perfect features, her face was in perfect proportion, almost too perfect as a small splatter of freckles lay scattered across the tops of her cheeks and the bridge of her nose.

A loud bang sounded from somewhere nearby, closely followed by shouts and exclamations of mirth. The young girl woke to the sound of the commotion, smoothly standing as she carefully approached the barred door of her cell like home.