Low

A/N: Next Chapter! Comment! Vote! Austin makes his appearance in the chapter(:

~

~

As was stated before, I was requested to go into the office and have a discussion with Mr. Vlades about my grades. So here I am know, sitting before said man as he looked at my transcripts. He hasn't spoken to me yet. Just motioned for me to sit in the vacant seat in front of him while he processes on what to say. He hasn't looked up from the papers yet either. It is only when I sigh that he looks up.

He throws me an apologetic smile as he shuffles the papers together into a neat pile.

“Sorry about that,” he says, “I was just trying to figure out the missing pieces to your failing grades.”

“Don't think to hard, you might blow a fuse.” I say,crossing one leg over the other.

Mr. Valdes smiles. He doesn't seem that bad of a guy. “You see Ms. Myers, I make it a sort of personal mission to help every senior here graduate from Raven Wood.”

I nod along to what he's saying, shrugging my shoulders together. What did that have to do with me?

Mr. Valdes seems to pick on this as he quickly says, “Rose, you're at a great risk of not graduating with the rest of your class. You're failing three classes and it's just about to be three months into the semester.”

Okay. Now I know the whole point of this. I'm a senior. If I didn't find some way to pass my failing classes they'd make me re-take them during the summer – making my plans to escape a delay. I wouldn't become of legal age until about two months after school was over, which means I would be forced to attend summer school unless I wanted the police to get involved in my resistance of having to make up for my failing. The police are the last people I’d ever want to talk to.

“Well unless you're gonna tell me that you'll help me by hacking into the computer and boosting up my grades, I don't see any other way how I'll be graduating.” I tell him, leaning back into the uncomfortable chair.

Mr. Valdes smiles at me, or more like smirks, as if he's keeping some sort of magic trick up his sleeve. He looks at the watch on his wrist, at the open door, then at me. He's probably expecting another student.

“No, Ms. Myers, that isn't exactly what I was thinking of. Although, I do know of a way to help improve you're grades.” He told.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Enlighten me.”

He clears out his throat first. “Have you consider having someone tutor you?”

“It's crossed my mind,” I say. It hasn't. Not even once.

“Well there is this one student I've talked to and he's agreed to tutor you. It's a win-win situation. You get a chance at graduating with the rest of your class and he's able to put something down on his college resume.” Mr. Valdes says it as if he's made the finale decision and I have no say in the matter.

“What if I don't want a tutor?” I question.

“Well to bad,” he snaps. He realizes how he's said it and his eyes soften. He takes in a breath before continuing on with a gentler tone. “Ms. Myers you might not want it but you do need help. I want to see you leaving this school with the rest of your peers. Can you at least try having someone tutor you?”

He holds my gaze with a sincere look. Maybe he does want to actually help me. Which is a surprise to me. Most people don't have a fondness to help moody teenagers who reek of trouble...or maybe that's just the alcohol that smells. Either way I haven't heard someone say they wanted to help in such a long time. Even the teachers I've had here haven't ever said anything to me about my failing grades. So maybe I should just agree with what Mr. Valdes thinks is right.

I nod my head. “Okay.”

Mr. Valdes seems surprise for a moment that I've agreed. And so am I. He blinks his eyes and then gives me a wide smile, “Great!”

He looks up past my shoulder before continuing on. “And perfect timing, your tutor is here! Come in, come in Mr. Mahone.”

I turn my head around to see a teenager who is no doubt in my grade, enter Mr. Valdes' office. He gives Mr. Valdes a wide smile and takes the vacant seat next to me, dumping his backpack to side of the chair next my own backpack. He flashes me a smile as well, tugging on his letterman jacket. I roll my eyes. What have I gotten myself into?

“Rose, meet your tutor Austin Mahone. Austin, meet Rose Myers, the student you'll be helping.” Mr. Valdes says to the both of us. We glance at each other, his colorful eyes meeting my own dull brown ones. And by colorful I mean hazel, his eyes a mixture of green and brown. The two chairs in which we occupy are pushed together enough that it isn't strange that I can actually see his eye color.

Austin sticks out his hand for me to shake which I choose to ignore. He slowly withdraws the hand, using the other one to rub the back of his neck. I turn back to look at Mr. Valdes. He gives a nervous laugh, clapping his hands to break the awkward silence that has seemed to fallen around us. He looks up at the clock that is hanging on the wall and quickly gets up from his seat.

“It seems like lunch will be starting soon so I expect you two to make your own plans on how to work out the tutoring sessions. Maybe over lunch you can both talk about it?” Mr. Valdes questions.

Yeah right, I think. I've seen Austin around school before enough to know that we don't exactly run in the same crowd. I know for a fact that Austin happened to be the captain of the basketball team, meaning that he probably hung around the stereotypical 'popular' crowd. So why would Mr. Valdes think that it would ever be possible for Austin and I to-

“Sure, Mr. V. Rose can sit with me and my friends at lunch.” I heard Austin's voice say.

Crazy boy say what?! I turn to look at Austin with a very surprised look on my face only to see him give another one of those annoying smiles. He leans down to grab his backpack, grabbing my ratty one as well. He slips his backpack om and then hands over mine.

Looking down at me with those hazel eyes he asks, “If that's alright with you, Rose?”

I glance at Mr. Valdes and see that he is looking at me expectantly, almost like he was silently edging me on to take the unexpected invitation.

I look back at Austin and see that his hazel eyes have still not left the gaze they had on me. They had this look of hope, wanting me to just accept what he's said. To hurry it along before the halls are filled with the annoying teens who create some sort of stamped to the cafeteria or out of the school building.

I slid the brown bag onto my shoulder, pulling my hair out of the way before it's stuck underneath the strap. I chew at my lower lip, before deciding what my answer is.

“Okay. I'll sit with you at lunch.”

Austin gives me another one of his so ridiculous smiles. Seriously. How many times am I going to have to deal with his lips curling up at both ends of his mouth that produce his annoying smile? I am going to regret this already. I can tell.