Chapter 9 - Cough

At last the hour I've been waiting for arrives. Choir practice 4pm-5pm. I've been getting myself really hyped up since this is the first official group meeting since I had to cancel hour our together yesterday. In the choir room, I laid out ten seats in a circle, waiting for the group to join me. All nine of them showed up on time having rushed here from first period. They started filling the seats to my left.

Kyle sat next to me then Gabe took the seat next to Kyle. Penny and Marissa took the seats to my right, Tess sat next to Gabe shortly followed by Leon then Tiffany and Chase. They both looked a little flushed - Tiffany's lips looked a little swollen I noticed - and Chase twirled her around before depositing her in the seat next to his. I barely caught a glimpse of the icy stare Marissa threw Tiffany's way when Rebecca joined us, closing the door behind her.

"Good evening, choir."

"Good evening, Miss May." They chanted back.

"Now, I know we don't have much time to prepare but we do have our Taster evening next Friday. I have a set list which I think you will love but we'll get down to that in a moment. First I have to name our team captains."

"There are more than one, Miss May?" Marissa asked, obediently putting her hand up like she does in class.

"Just two." I walked over to the chalk board and started to speak as I wrote, "Male captain and female captain. Whose it going to be?" I said teasingly.

I walked into the middle of the circle, drinking in their expressions and making last minute decisions. I knew who I wanted for my male lead, knew it as soon as he stepped up on stage and sang that brilliant Stevie Wonder song.

"Mr Malley, would you please stand?"

His smile was infectious as he beamed at me.

"Put your hand over your heart and repeat after me, Mr Malley."

"Yes, ma'am." He said, placing his palm over his heart.

"I Leon Malley," he repeated each word automatically after me, "do so swear to claim captaincy and all rights and responsibility tied to it. I will not shirk in my duties and will encourage others in the group to follow my lead."

"Wonderful, captain." The kids all applauded, those nearest him clapping him on the back congratulating him as I moved over to my female captain.

"Miss Bennett?"

Tiffany gasped looking up at me uncertainly and then, slowly, split into an enthusiastic smile. "Yes?"

"Would you also stand and place your hand over your heart?"

"I Tiffany Bennett," she repeated just like Leon, "do so swear to claim captaincy and all rights and responsibility tied to it. I will not shirk in my duties and will encourage others in the group to follow my lead."

"Lovely, you may sit now."

"So what is our set list, Miss May?" Leon asks.

"We have four songs," I said, strolling over to the chalk board, "I'm going to do my very best to showcase all your talents. To open we'll have a group number led by our captains. Then a number by the girls, a number by the boys and another group number to close."

"Who will lead that one?" Gabe asked.

"Tess will." I said, and stood away from the chalk board to show them the songs they were to sing.

Group - Firework by Katy Perry

Girls - You've Got The Love by Florence + the Machine

Boys - My Body by Young the Giant

Sing Me To Sleep (formerly From Maggie May to Penny Lane)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें