The Party

Draco was wandering the halls late one Friday evening, in part, because he often had trouble sleeping, but also because he enjoyed catching students out after-hours and having them written up. He was listening to the sound of his loafers tapping in the hollow echoing halls when the distinctive clink of bottles made his ears perk.

Draco turned on his heel and quickened his pace towards the sound. He turned a corner, stopped and listened, his hands behind his back. He heard a familiar giggle, stifled, but definitely yours. Draco smirked and turned his head in the direction of your laughter.

"Y/N," he warned, "You can't hide from me."

More laughter and then you removed your head from Harry's invisibility cloak and said "Sorry, Draco."

Your cheeks had a familiar rosy tint to them, a sure sign that you had been drinking. Draco walked towards you slowly, took the cloak in his hand and gently tugged it off your shoulders. You were dressed in cut-off shorts and a plaid button down which you had tied at your waist, revealing a few inches of your midriff. Under one arm you had an entire case of butter beer, hanging from your shoulder was a tote bag, which had the obvious bulging outline of liquor bottles inside of it.

Draco was at a loss for words. "What—what are you wearing? Whose cloak is this?"

"We're having an American party in Gryffindor tower tonight. It was Fred and George's idea." You said, adjusting the Butter Beers under your arm uncomfortably. "Do you want to come?"

"I wouldn't want to ruin the party," Draco said with a hint of bitterness. "Where did you get this cloak?"

"I'm not supposed to say." You said, you were beginning to struggle with all the heavy bottles you were carrying. "Really, you should come. Just get under the cloak and help me carry some of this."

"They don't want me there," Draco said glumly.

"Well I do," You said, impatiently, "And if you're carrying these, everyone else will want you there too." You began to pass him the case of Butterbeer because your arm was growing too weak to carry it. "Honestly Draco, I can tell that you want to come and my arms are tired so let's just skip all this moping."

Draco hated it when you were right. He took the butterbeer and said "I'll help you bring these in, and maybe stay for one drink." then he threw the cloak over both of your heads and said "Merlin, this thing smells. Where did you get this?"

You shushed him.

Fred and George opened the door of the portrait for you. If they were surprised to see Draco they didn't show it, "Malfoy, you absolute tosser! Get in here!" they patted him on the back.

"Hey thanks for bringing the butterbeer, mate. We were worried this one wouldn't be able to carry all of it with her wimpy arms"

"Well, This One is going to slaughter you in beer pong with these wimpy arms in a minute." You joked.

Fred called over to the beer pong table, "Oi! We've got next game!" and motioned to the four of you.

George took a beer from the case and said "Yeah thanks mate, just set those on the table over there and get ready because we're going to wipe the floor with you."

Draco crossed the room with you and set the alcohol out on a table with a row of other bottles, now half empty. Draco took a beer for himself and assessed the party. All of Gryffindor was participating. Most students wore their white button ups tied in the middle, some had denim cut-offs like yours and others wore enchanted hats which emitted red white and blue stars. Draco was amazed at the sheer commitment of it all. He even spotted Hermione Granger in the corner with Ginny Weasley, drinking out of red plastic cups.