Amortentia

You were invited to spend the new year with Lavender Brown and her family. You stayed with her in her childhood bedroom for one night. The event was a lot more understated than the Malfoy's Christmas party, but you enjoyed yourself none the less. Growing up, you didn't get to have a lot of sleepovers, so this felt just as special.

After Christmas, there was no denying it: you were head over heels for Draco. The second you arrived at lavender's house you began to gush about how amazing the party was, how great Draco looked, and the way he kissed your cheek before you went to bed.

"And look at this," you said, whipping out the photograph you'd taken on the balcony.

"Oh my god," gasped Lavender. "You guys are beautiful together, did you know that? I can't believe how lucky you are he is so hot."

"God, I know." You put a hand over your face. "I can't stop thinking about him. It's like I can't even function."

After you returned to the castle, the rest of the break dragged on while you waited to see Draco again. You ran in to him Sunday evening after dinner. You saw him in the corridor outside the dining hall and your stomach began to twist.

"Hey Y/N." He said with a smile. "How was your new year?"

"It was good," You said, leaning against the stone wall and looking up at him. "I went to a party at Lavender Brown's house. What did you do?"

"Oh," said draco, "we always go to the Parkinson's place for new year's."

"Pansy's place?" you furrowed your brow. Did he kiss her at midnight? You wondered to yourself.

"Speak of the devil." Muttered Draco, almost too quiet for you to hear him.

"Draco!" Came a shrill voice from behind you. You visibly tensed up. "So good to see you at my party last week." Pansy stood with her back angled towards you and took one of Draco's hands.

Draco looked over the top of pansy's head to you, visibly irritated, but still adorable. In fact, it was funny to see you so annoyed but much too polite to do anything about it. "Thank you," Draco said to Pansy, coolly. "My family and I had a nice time." He removed his hand from her grasp.

"It was so much fun when we were dancing. I've never seen you drink so much." She teased Draco with a giggle.

You felt a pang of jealousy. Draco hadn't danced with you at the Christmas party. Why would he dance with Pansy at her new year's party? You suddenly felt very insecure and you decided there was no need for you to stand around and be ignored. "I'll see you tomorrow morning." You said to Draco and you passed them to continue walking down the corridor.

"Oh, Y/N, that's so weird I didn't even see you!" Pansy said. The pitch of her voice made you cringe.

"So weird!" You replied, raising your voice to match her tone.

You returned to your room and tried to remove the jealous thoughts from your mind. Images of Draco dancing with Pansy. Him kissing her at midnight. It made you furious. You had thought Draco hated Pansy. Now they're dancing together at parties. You fell asleep angry that night.

Professor Snape walked in to the class the next morning and began talking immediately, without any pleasantries, as usual. "Today we will begin to study a very complex and powerful love potion. This," He held up a vial the size of your pinky, "Is Amortentia. By Valentine's Day you must be able to brew your own mixture." Professor Snape paused in front of Harry potter's table. "This means that you must pay attention, Potter." Five points Gryffindor. "Each desk has an identical vial of the potion. Smell it, and write down the properties you believe the potion to have and its potential effects on one who consumes it."

Draco held the potion and you both leaned forward and smelled the mixture together.

"Oof. All I'm getting is the smell of your cologne. How much of that did you put on today?" You waved your hand in front of your face, but in fact Draco always smelled heavenly. Jealous thoughts still lingered from last night and you were noticeably sharper with Draco that morning.

Draco leaned back in his chair, "I'll have you know that this cologne was hand crafted in France to blend with my aura. You should consider yourself lucky to smell something so divine."

You rolled your eyes, "Sorry for smelling your aura Draco." You took the vial and smelled it again. you stiffened a bit. You smelled cedar wood, lemon, and green tea. It was heavenly and it was Draco's smell exactly. You leaned away from the vial, hoping that Draco hadn't made the connection: He hadn't put on too much cologne that day.

"Well, how is it?" He asked.

"Oh um, gardenia and orange blossoms."

"Not what I would have guessed," Draco smirked.

He leaned forward himself and took in the smell deeper, though he already knew what it was. Freesia and fresh cut grass, with a hint of sunscreen. It was as if he was embracing you. He closed his eyes for a moment and let himself imagine it, reliving the night he held you in his arms and looked after you while you had a concussion. You would never remember this night, that memory seemed to have been lost forever for you.

"So?" You said impatiently.

"Um... Leather and coffee, with a bit of cinnamon." He adjusted his tie and cleared his throat. "So the steam from the potion rises in spirals which should indicate which direction the potion is stirred in." He said writing this down in his notes.

"Look at the sheen that is has. It must be fermented." You added.

"Nice catch." Draco said briskly.

"Is the potion made to be consumed or applied to the skin like perfume?"

"Why don't you test it and find out?"

"No thank you." You scoffed, "I don't believe in love potions."

"What, you aren't interested in love?"

"No," you blushed. "I just think it's impossible to manufacture love with a potion or a spell. The best you could conjure up is an intense feeling of infatuation and even that can't be sustained forever. And anyway, it's immoral to give someone a love potion, no matter how ineffective it is. In the end, the love is either there or it isn't and there's nothing you can do to change that."

"I had no idea you had such strong feelings about... potions."

"well, I do." You said, looking down at your notes.

Draco looked at you. You had your hair tucked behind your ear and you were wearing the pearl studs his mother had bought for you at Christmas, as well as one of the cashmere cardigans over your white button up. He marveled at your grace and beauty even when doing simple things, like taking notes. He wondered, was the love there for you? It certainly was for him.