chapter 6

I rushed down the hall; flying pass fellow students and faculty as I turned the corners in a hurry.

"Jesus slow down." I heard people yell to me when I passed them by.

"Sorry."

I hollered over my shoulder as I continued to pace down the corridors of the learning building.

I looked down at the time that was on my phone. Disgusted by the little time I had left, I began to run until I made it to the front door of my psychology class.

"Nice of you to join us." My professor teased as she closed the door right behind me.

I glanced over my shoulder; sorrow revealed on my face as I watched a few lingering students beg to get in to the room.

"Remember students, I made it perfectly clear on the timing rules." She noted before she gestured toward the clock. "Those doors will be locked ten minutes after the start of class. Especially during the week of exams."

She stepped over to her desk before she pulled her chair and sat down.

"I will give you guys ten minutes to refresh your memory on the material we went over this entire semester."

"Can we study with others?" A boy questioned.

"Feel free, as long as you are not interrupting others." She allowed.

The once quiet class was now bombarded with the sound of students moving about to get closer to their fellow friends.

Me? I just needed to study.

"Hey, can I join you?" A fellow student of mine, Tiffany, requested as she shifted her seat toward me.

"Sure." I shrugged.

"Anything specific you need help on or want to go over?" Tiffany questioned.

"Not really. You?"

"Well, sometimes I have trouble remembering the order of the pyramid of physiological needs."

I snatched up a clean sheet of paper before I scribbled down a few letters and passed it to her.

"S-E-B-S-P?"

"Yup." I nodded. "Repeat it."

"For?"

"Just repeat it."

As requested, she did. She repeated the formation of letters.

"Now close your eyes and repeat those letters."

"S-E-B-S-P." She spoke without hesitation.

"Self-actualization, esteem needs, belongingness, safety, physiological needs."

Tiffany smiled; a great glow on her face when she realized the simple tip would actually help her throughout her exam.

"Hey Tiff?" One of the other girls leaned over the desk before she passed her a piece of folded up paper.

"What's this?"

"Annual sorority fundraiser. Check out the flyer."

"What the fuck is it this time?" Tiffany rolled her eyes.

I chuckled.

I remember last year's sorority and fraternity fundraiser that was held at the Alpha Kappa home. Of course I did not attend however it was only a matter of hours before word spread about the wild event.

"Probably another wet T-shirt contest." Tiffany laughed before she passed me the paper.

"Just check it out."

"No thanks." Tiffany huffed. "The last thing we need is another day where we degrade women here."

Tiffany returned to her books; leaving the folded up flyer sitting between her and I.

I was never one to attend these events. The loud, obnoxious, wild gatherings that took place at the sorority or frat homes however the need to know the theme this year was really getting beneath my skin.

"Okay students. Time is up. Please put away all of your materials."

Everyone began to put away there things. I, the anxious character, picked up the flyer before I unfolded it to see what this year's hype would be.

"Really?" I whispered out loud when I read the bold printing and summaries of the festivities that would be going on this weekend.

Maybe.

I thought that maybe, just maybe, this was something I would stupidly take part in.

"Ms. Norman?" My professor said my name, which drew in the attention of the others who waited for their examine to be handed out.

"Oh sorry." I balled of the piece of paper before I shoved it into my bag for later...

***

"Nah, that's stupid."

I leaned against the customer assistance desk that was centered in the middle of the hospital where I worked.

Three times a week, I would work a few hours to gain enough money to supply the small and personal things I did not want to bug my parents about.

The hospital rush had ceased and now I was sitting alone as I looked over the wrinkled sheet of paper.

'Brunsworth's College 8th Annual Sorority and Fraternity Fundraiser' was the headline.

Every year, a fundraiser took place. Each year it was different and each year the contribution went to something useful for not only the school but the community as well.

Last year, it was the Beach Ball. It was an event where they turned the main sorority home into a beach party.

According to attendees, the party got not only wet but wild as well. However the profit was able to go toward not only college events, but a community based toy drive as well.

"I don't want to go to this." I whined; my teeth nipping at the inner corners of my cheeks when I saw what this year's fundraiser would be.

It was ridiculous.

It was demeaning.

However, it was also strangely interesting..