chapter 5

The crowd was going wild. College students and parents went insane as they all pushed to their feet. There wasn't a quiet soul sitting in the bleachers at this moment.

People waved their novelty fingers and balloons as they cheered for their favorite basketball players.

It was home game tonight.

The first home game I have ever been to.

The first game I have been to period.

Everyone was hype; our eyes shifting from the players to the score board which was frozen in time, leaving us all with anticipation that the close score plastered would move in their favor.

It was fourth quarter with a little under one minute left on the clock.

"Bring it home." Everyone, including Kitty, screamed out over the hollering fans.

What do I say?

"Beat their asses." I felt ridiculous.

Kitty, almost surprised by my sudden outburst, nudged for me to continue in on the chanting.

As others yelled, I could not help but watch the star player stand on the sideline with his team during their time out.

Damn, he was spectacular.

An amazing physique that helped him dominate everything he did.

At this moment, he was focused on the words that blurted out of his coach mouth. However, in my mind, he was doing something else.

He turned toward the stands, his eyes scanning over the waving crowd as he searched for something or someone in particular.

They landed on no one other than me.

We locked eyes. A stare that seemed to go on for so long before his coach snapped him out of it.

His smile stretched before he sent a quick seductive wink into my direction.

Then reality would strike me.

He was on the court now; waiting and watching as his team mates scrambled across the floor.

He would pass before they would pass it back, allowing him to take a few more shots. Shots that helped us come out victorious when that final buzzer went off...

***

"Had fun?"

I sat up from my bed. My hand clasped over my head as the pounding headache continued to torture me.

"You call this fun?"

The room began to spin the longer I sat up.

"No. The mornings are never fun." Kitty leaped from her bed before she rushed into the bathroom before she returned with her toothbrush.

"What happened?"

I could barely remember the evening before but the headache and the nausea I was left with left me regretting whatever it was.

"You were fucked up." Kitty giggled before she walked back in to the bathroom before she returned. "Didn't think you were a drinker."

I'm not. A simple wine was normally my forte and that was only during special events or celebrations.

"You remember nothing huh?" She teased.

"No."

I remember the basketball game. I remember the stadium celebrating as everyone rushed into the cold, still yelling and screaming as we made our way back to housing.

"Well, Marley and Liz came over with a bottle of Jamaica Rum."

"The girls from down the hall?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "At first, you were a little weird."

"Oh god." I collapsed back onto my bed.

"But, after a few shots, you crawled your way out of that creepy little shell of yours."

God, why can't I remember what happened?

"Jesus." I sighed.

"Don't worry, nothing too crazy happened." Kitty fluffed up her pillows and smoothed out the creases of her bed sheets before she topped it with her pink comforter set. "Except the part where you spilled your feelings out about Monte."

"What?!"

I was going to throw up. Rushing out of bed, I stumbled into the bathroom. Hunched over the toilet, I began throwing up the vile alcohol that was still sitting in my stomach.

I DID WHAT?

"Here." Kitty knelled beside me before she handed me a towel. "Some water and crackers may help."

"Thanks." I took the towel, wiping my mouth as I turned to address my roommate. "What the fuck did I say?"

"Don't worry. Everyone was gone before you started fan-girling over him."

Kitty walked into the small kitchenette before she returned with a glass of cool water.

I wanted to ask her what I said but I was sure if the alcohol that was overpowering my system didn't kill me, the embarrassment surely would.

"No judgements honey." She handed me the glass. "We all fantasize about a man or two.... or both at once."

She shrugged with no regret.

Eyeing her strangely, I could not help but laugh when she said it.

"But it's okay. Your little crush is safe with me." She noted. "Now, can you do a little courtesy flush? That shit stinks. And brush your teeth."

Leaned against the tub, my body exhausted, I pulled at the lever just hard enough to flush the toilet...