Prologue

-Tom-

Tom was hiking threw the woods. These weren't his woods, of course, but one hundreds of miles away from his home. His family walked beside him, clutching his  hands tightly, as if to keep him from running away.

But why is the world would he do that? His family was all he needed. His beautiful mother with dark hair; her parka blue, Tom's favorite color. They shared striking blue eyes. She had smiled the entire way there and would probably do it the entire way back. She was always so happy.

And his father. Tom and his father both had sandy hair. But his parka was gray. And though Tom didn't like to admit it since it was a weird thought, he had always compared his father to a pineapple. His father and the spiny fruit were both tough on the outside, never easy to talk with, but sweet on the inside. Plus, the two both had spiky leaves growing out of their heads.
They all wore boots for hiking through the endless forest on the seemingly endless trail. They would make camp soon, like they had done the past two nights.

Tom was excited. Sure, he didn't know where they were going, or why for that matter, but he was glad that he was with his family while doing it. He was at home with them.

They pitched camp later that night a little off the trail. Mother had carried the tent in a bag over their shoulders. Father had carried supplies in his backpack such as food and more coats. Tom, of course, being a seven-year-old, had carried his stuffed bear. Tomee Bear was old, but Tom cherished him. Once a fire had been created, Father took out a radio. They listened to it while eating for reasons Tom didn't always understand, but he was content when a song or two came on.

The family ate while telling each other jokes and playing around. Suddenly that all stopped when the man on the radio started talking. Many of the words Tom didn't understand. But he heard the word 'monster' several times. Oh no. Had the one under his bed got out while he was away? He knew should have stuffed the underside of his bed with pillows like he had planned. It was all his fault that the monster had gotten out.

Before Tom could apologize for being so foolish, his mother put a finger to her mouth, telling him to be silent. The parents continued to listen, any joy on the faces wiped off as if they were messy whiteboards that needed cleaning and got it. Blank expressions filled the campsite, all except for Tom's, who was one the verge of crying. Tears started sliding down his face.

It's my fault it's my fault it's my fault... Tom never stopped his endless circle of blame running through his head. A cold hand met his shoulder. Everything seemed to freeze in place as his eyes met his father's. They were hazel, much unlike Tom and his mother's, but still held as much worry as any other member of the small family.

"Go inside, Tom. Your mother and I will stay out here and listen to the radio some more, okay?"
It came out as a question, but Tom knew that this was a command coming from his fathers mouth. Tom nodded quickly before running back into his tent to go to sleep.

...

At first he stared up to a black sky, but it soon became red from the fire that surrounded him. It was burning him to a crisp. But he couldn't move. Walls of fire built themselves high enough to cover the sky. Tom wanted to scream. He wanted to scream and run around in terror and yell for his mother. But all he did was stare at the walls of fire keeping him trapped. Was it just him, or were the walls closing in?

Suddenly, the walls broke due to a huge, monstrous form walking into the fire. It was darker than the sky was, even before the fires started. It stood higher than anything Tom had ever seen. He still wanted to scream and run in terror and yell for his mother, and still did he stay in place. He could hear his heart beating faster and faster with each passing second.