67 | ACT IV, SCENE VI

Start from the beginning

"You have plenty of help," Edwina said, her voice reserved and detached. She was retreating into her shell again.

"But I want your help."

"No, Valmont. You don't," she said softly, trailing her fingers along the curve of my hard jaw. "No one needs my help. Anyone I try to help... it only becomes worse."

"Listen-"

"-no. I swear it. I know there was someone else in the room that night. I went to help Halette, Vincent accused me of stabbing her. I got the bottle of Avlebore for Amphitrite to help her. Eric accused me of poisoning her. I don't know what I will be blamed for next. So I'll just stay out of the way," Edwina explained, getting up and heading for the door.

"Woman," I called out. "You forgot your crown."

"I won't be needing it for much longer," she said, tone defeated. Without a second glance at the crown on her dresser, she left the room with her shoulders slumped.

A real man couldn't ever stand seeing his woman hurt.

I couldn't stand here and watch Edwina get hurt.

I couldn't stand here and watch the woman I loved get hurt.

And I knew, I knew deep down, that if something would have happened to me, Edwina would have gone to the ends of the world to save her High King.

Quietly, I picked a sheet of curled parchment off my desk and sharpened a jet black quill. After scratching a few words on the paper, I attached my imperial seal to it, and rolled it up. Opening the door to the study, I found Cressida, hovering over a plan of the castle.

"Make sure Eric gets this letter once I leave Stormholt," I dropped my voice and handed the sheet to her.

"What - what is this, your Grace?"

"A letter of resignation as High King, effective as soon as the clock strikes midnight during the Ball tomorrow," I said firmly - my voice unyielding, unceasing.

I would not make Edwina attend the Trial, knowing the verdict would be death. Not while I was alive. I would kill every last one of them - Thanatos, Helios, Eric - if it came to that.

"You love her," she whispered, her voice thick with the sorrow of departure.

"Yes," I replied, finally admitting the truth to myself. Even as I did so, a single tear dripped down Cressida's cheek.

• • • • •

KNAVESMIRE, DRACNESSE.

EDWINA

I changed my form, a slim lady with brown hair and brown eyes, roaming the streets of my beloved capital city. High above the volcano, my Castle beamed strong and proud, the phoenix atop the highest turret. I breathed in the scents of home, driving misery out of my mind. It felt a bit better. Knavesmire was a busy capital, with its extravagant markets. Far east, the Derwentwater sparkled in the afternoon light. Further east of the river, to its other side, would lie the wretched Kingdom of Normount, seat of House Everly. There were no beggars in Dracnesse, because a large portion of the money was given away every year in charity for them. It felt good, helping others.