Chapter 24 - I can explain

"Oh my God! This is your lab? It looks like a spaceship." Naveen remarked.

"Stop. Don't go beyond that line. It shoots laser beams." Rukhsar stopped him. 

He gaped at the equipment. "Dr. Vidya is really great. I don't blame Shubha for wanting to work in this lab."

"It would have been so good if she joined me here." 

"Thank you for such a nice birthday gift in advance. By the way, why do you follow this tradition?"

"What tradition?"

"Giving the gift a day before birthday." Naveen smiled. She smiled along.

After spending some time in the lab they went to cafeteria. Thankfully no one was in the cafeteria except one or two people. It was weekend. "I wish I could organize a big party. But the thing is, this time I will be busy working. Have to wait till next year for celebration."

"Not a chance. I baked this cake for you." Rukhsar opened a box with a small chocolate cake in it. 

"For me? Thank you." Naveen was overjoyed. He cut the cake and tasted it.

Their moment of joy was interrupted by Ramesh. "Hello Rukhsar. How are you?" He asked her.

"I'm fine." She said coldly, expecting him to leave. 

He sat next to her. "I have a good offer for you. As you know that it is you who started the research, I feel you should be given a chance to continue it for a few months under my supervision."

She understood he needed her help. She got the news previous week that he was on the verge of failing and Dr. Gupta was not impressed. "I work for Dr. Vidya now. I'm sorry."

"I will talk to her. You will be a loaned resource. You can go back to Vidya after completing the work." He suggested. "I don't want you to miss being a part of this. I always encourage new talent like you." He added.

"I will think about it and let you know." She stood up. "Come Naveen. Let's go."

Naveen followed. "Did you listen to what he said? How can he even think that I will help him after what he did to Shubha?" She was outraged.

"Calm down. Think before you decide. Talk to Shubha. Listen to what she says before refusing. Don't take any decision in haste. You might regret it later." Naveen advised her. She nodded.

---***---

"Shubha, why did you bring this huge bag to the studio?" asked Latha.

"I forgot to tell you. As the filming of my part will be over today, I will spend a few days with my friend. She has been asking me to come and stay with her." Shubha lied to Latha.

"Who? Rukhsar?"asked Naveen. 

"Yes." She lied again.

"As you wish. Be careful. Eat regularly." Latha instructed her. Shubha nodded. She watched Latha talk to Dhwani. "I talked to your father yesterday. We are planning the engagement ceremony two months later. Only if you two agree, of course."

"We will, er, decide soon aunty" said Dhwani. Latha patted her and left.

Naveen glanced at Shubha. He knew she was feeling hurt. He was glad she would stay with Rukhsar.He decided to keep her busy to distract her. He started rehearsing his dialogues with her.

"Why are you being so sincere today? You never rehearse dialogues." Shubha frowned.

"Enlightenment. After watching you work so hard I sort of want to be like you."